1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Merchant Services TMF/MATCH LIST

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by blasto333, Jul 1, 2015.

I had 4 chargebacks 1 of which I won, 1 that is pending, and 2 that I lost. 2 of them I lost were stolen credit cards the one that I won was a duplicate purchase (They didn't contact me; just did a chargeback). These happened in 3 months. My total volume was about 6k in 3 months with about 40 sales.

The one that is pending was a customer that bought product (digital) and INSTANTLY wanted a refund without even using the product. (I talked with him and we agreed that he should try the product first and then if he is still not happy I would issue a refund. 2 months later he does a chargeback without hearing from him.

I use paypal as my main processor and have had 30 disputes and 5 chargebacks in 10 years. (I do a pretty high volume of 250-300 transactions a month).

The merchant account I was using (I won't mention their name) was a secondary account that I would use for people who can't/won't use paypal. It was low volume and I only did 50 transactions. Looking back at it; I probably should have never even offered another option; but I didn't know at the time that the merchant didn't have good support and fraud prevention in place. The merchant has since cancelled my account; paypal account is still perfectly fine and I called them and they said they are very happy with my account

Anyways.... I have been reading about TMF/Match list and I am scared that I might end up on it. I contacted the secondary processor and they said they did NOT add me to the list. The TMF/Match list sounds like a death sentence.

How can I be sure that the merchant who closed my account won't at a later date put me on the list? Do I have anything to worry about?

blasto333, Jul 1, 2015 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You probably aren't on it. To get put on it, in relation to chargebacks, you more or less have to get shut down for "high chargebacks" which is a Visa or MC designation and typically requires you having more than 100 in a 30 day period as well as greater than 1% chargeback to transaction ratio. Other reasons are if you are explicitly shut down for fraudulent activity, or sell products explicitly prohibited by card associations, which doesn't sound like the case here. There used to be a bunch of frivolous reasons that merchants could be put on it, but these have mostly been removed.

The merchant account provider most likely shut the account down as a business decision, which would not result in being put on the TMF list. Applying for another merchant account is the easiest way to find out, but if they said you aren't on it, you probably aren't.

jestep, Jul 2, 2015 IP
  3. blasto333

blasto333 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks! I don't think I am on it. I did some more research and found this

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/SPME-Entire_Manual_public.pdf

Under excessive chargebacks:
    With respect to a Merchant reported by a MasterCard Acquirer, the number of chargebacks in any single month exceeded 1% of the number of MasterCard sales Transactions in that month, and those chargebacks totaled USD 5,000 or more.

With respect to a merchant reported by an American Express acquirer (ICA numbers 102 through 125), the merchant exceeded the chargeback thresholds of American Express, as determined by American Express.

So it sounds like I am ok; because my chargebacks weren't more than 5,000.

blasto333, Jul 2, 2015 IP
  4. fionix

fionix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should do research before you open a thread like this that don't make sense at all! Now you know what the TMF / Matchlist it, it is obvious you are not on it.

Your question is like.. I bought a lottery ticket yesterday, in the TV they say I have not won anything, did I got the jackpot!

fionix, Jul 2, 2015 IP