1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

menu problem with Firefox and Netscape

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by davidw1991, Jun 21, 2005.

I would really appreciate it if someone expert could help fix a problem with Firefox. My website's main menu shifts to the right and blocks some of the images and description when using Firefox and Netscape. It works fine with IE. Anyone knows what the problem is? The website is www.giftsjoy.com. You may not see it the first time you browse it but when you click on a few images, it will eventually happen. Thanks.

David

davidw1991, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    OK, really wierd one here. I went to: http://www.giftsjoy.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JN1370&from= and saw the problem. I clicked edit css and whamo! The problem corrected itself! Same problem on another page I checked out.

There's no doctype declaration, so different browsers will default to different interpretations of the page, which compounds the already existing display issues.

I have a couple of areas to look... one is that IE and firefox interpret padding and margins a little bit differently. I forget which is which, but one includes the border of your object and the other starts just outside the border - which translates into a 1 pixel difference, but when you have the width of an object set to the width of it's parent, sometimes screwy things happen. Maybe just for a test try setting the width of vrsub2 just a little bit wider and see if that changes things.

If nothing else, maybe you should try absolutely positioning your menu.

I've gone through the headaches associated with menus a lot, and with all the different browser issues, it pays off quickly to buy someone elses working and supported system. I wouldn't know which to recommend, but there are several out there. I've been using projectseven.com 's popmenumagic for a site redesign I've been working on this week and it is very clean and configurable with excellent documentation - but then again, it requires dreamweaver and a basic knowledge of dreamweaver to really take advantage of the value.

Other than that, check out EricMeyers on css, it's a book, but there's a website out there for the book that has downloadable sample code and some explanation.

nevetS, Jun 22, 2005 IP