1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mentoring

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by cd928, Sep 22, 2009.

Having a mentor is probably one of the best things you can do if you're just starting out with copywriting, or if you need to step up your copywriting skills.

I recently had the opportunity to work with a fantastic and talented mentor for FREE. I just finished the first week for the mentoring program, and so far, so good.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you here, copywriter or not, are currently working or have worked with mentors. How did having a mentor help your career?

Thanks! :)

cd928, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  2. Matt Willard

Matt Willard Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The closest thing I've had to a mentor is a good, consistent blog about freelance writing. You'll have to be more of a do-it-yourself kind of person in that case, but it's a good substitute if you can't find a mentor or learn better on your own. My advice is to pick ONE blog. This way you avoid information overwhelm.

Matt Willard, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  3. jj_hiller

jj_hiller Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm currently enrolled in a 12-month advanced copywriting study course that I purchased through American Writers & Artists, Inc. First thing I'd like to say is, I love being able to have my hands on a physical copy of each installment that I've been getting for the last five months now. From the moment I started to get connected with the freelance and copywriting realm it has had a significant impact on my sales copy and blog content.

This has been my own personal mentor for the duration I have already been enrolled.

At your own convenience you check them out at -- http://awaionline.com (just hover over the menu and look for the copywriting tab and the first headline entry that pops up is the one I'm presently enrolled in.)

I was never a really big fan of outsourcing my work if I didn't have to. I like having total control of every aspect of my business, however that doesn't mean that I wouldn't consider lightening my load if need be.

Good luck with your mentor!

JJ

jj_hiller, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  4. rock785

rock785 Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember serving free articles to a guy who used to proofread the articles for me so that I could hone my writing skills. I couldn't continue longer as I was tired writing articles free of cost. Ofcourse, no motivation at all.

rock785, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  5. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think some mentor relationships develop naturally without someone saying "I am your mentor" - you can just go to them with a career question. It's organic that way.

I've found mentors helpful and not all of my mentors have been writers or copywriters. :)

EspressoChick, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  6. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. This guy's been active in the mailinglist I'm in, and he's given me and the others a lot of insight about our questions not only on copywriting itself, but about being a freelancer as well.

So I immediately jumped in when he offered to mentor interested members because I knew he could help me with a lot of things. :)

cd928, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  7. Skid

Skid Peon

Best Answers:
    I am interested in starting this actually. I was going to look for a mentor myself, any suggestions?

Skid, Sep 25, 2009 IP