1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Member List PR6?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Help Desk, Jun 23, 2004.

It is odd that your member list PR6. I suggest that it should default sorted to either the number of posts or by reputation. This way it will keep SPAMing signups that just want their link on a PR6 site to a minimum.

Is this crucial? No, it's just a thought.

Help Desk, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  2. jfontestad

jfontestad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree.
    A lot of the members on the 'Members List' page have little or no posts what-so-ever(not that I have that much). I think you should try to get it in order of the amount of posts a person has.

jfontestad, Jun 23, 2004 IP
    Help Desk likes this.
  3. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    These pages are a directory listing of members, listed by user name. Listing members by the number of posts just makes a directory like this harder to use. The members who post the most messages already get the most backlinks.

It looks like the few members who signed up using upper case letters for their handle got the top billing due to the sort order. Check out the T page:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/memberlist.php?ltr=T&pp=0&sort=username&order=asc

TechEvangelist, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  4. laiwa

laiwa Peon

Best Answers:
    At SEO chat they had a lot of problems with people posting just to get backlinks (in some cases they still do) so they now require a min number of 100 posts before you can show/place links in your signature. There has been cases with people try to get around that by posting like mad to achieve 100 posts in short time. I guess that it will always be a problem with that when people see that they could get a high PR backlink for "free". Maybe in some instances this gives some help to the PR and serps for the sites but we who work with really difficult keywords, like in my case "ringtones" knows that a link, even if its from a high PR site like this, wont do that much for my ranking. Of course evrything helps but its lots and lots of themed links from pages with high linking popularity that can give me a boost.
    The less rules the better, sometimes it works to actually tell the people that missuses the forum to shape up. Maybe the listings could be cleaned every 6 months for people that doesnt visit the forum. I dont know if number of posting should be the norm since a lot of people that are unsure about themselves might visit to read what you have to say for a long time before they actually dare to post. Just my thoughts... ;)

laiwa, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  5. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    it could just be excluded with robots.txt, that'd probably be the easiest work around.

... although I guess they probably wouldn't notice that and would try anyway, eh?

disgust, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well so far haven't had any problems with it. But if it does get abused, I'll do something about it.

digitalpoint, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  7. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see any huge gain from doing it- but spammers might

schlottke, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  8. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Actually, it doesn't have anything to do with capital letters, the handle your talking about it using a zero for the first "0". Pretty tricky ;) .

ViciousSummer, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  9. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like SEOChat but find it too strict. SEO also makes it neccesary to wait 90 days before using a signature or even an avatar which I find excessive. It's hard for anything to keep my interest for 90 days. It's the board runner's choice however. That may be one of the reasons I would rather spend my time here.

I personally would like to see those with the best contributions (Not to be confused with most contributions) on the higher PR pages. However if I was going to recommend something in this situation to a client I would say "If it's not broke don't fix it.".

Then again maybe I just secretly want more high PR links :eek:

Help Desk, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I take it you refer to my name...

I hadn't even realized! I just happened to be looking for a licence plate the day I signed up and thought it would be somewhat original to use a similar writing style for my name. I wasn't aware either that page has such nice PR but rest assured, I couldn't care less. I would be interested if that WWW image could be replaced for a nice anchor text link, then I would use a different URL too.

T0PS3O, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually, I decided to nip it in the bud, rather than wait for people to signup with lame user names for a link.

The member list does not have the home page link anymore (you can still get there, but you have to go to the user's profile).

Also, the member list only shows members that have made a post before.

digitalpoint, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  12. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    Good catch, ViciousSummer

I didn't notice the zero at first. I must be blind in one eye and just can't see out the other. Very interesting. . .

TechEvangelist, Jun 23, 2004 IP
  13. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe a default sort by last visit would have been a good solution also.

payoutwindow, Jun 24, 2004 IP
  14. Joel Naten

Joel Naten Guest

Best Answers:
    It's unfortunate, but the alternative is too much work to police them.

Joel Naten, Jun 27, 2004 IP