1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mediapartners Determining Content In Realtime

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by digitalpoint, Apr 17, 2005.

I noticed something that is new (to me anyway). It used to be that if you visited a page with AdSense that Google didn't know about, it would give you generic PSA ads and then the Mediapartners bot would spider the page about 15 minutes later (so it knows about it in the future).

But check this out... two new entries on my blog... Mediapartners followed 1 second after the end user hits the page. The first one, it couldn't find relevant ads, so 1 second later, the end user requests the alternate ad URL. So basically the AdSense JavaScript was just lagged by 1-2 seconds while Google grabbed the pages and delivered relevant ads in realtime.

www.digitalpoint.com 67.119.246.182 - - [17/Apr/2005:17:12:45 -0700] "GET /~shawn/2005/04/vioxx-vs-celebrex.html HTTP/1.1" 200 2958 "http://www.digitalpoint.com/~shawn/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312"
    www.digitalpoint.com 66.249.66.197 - - [17/Apr/2005:17:12:46 -0700] "GET /~shawn/2005/04/vioxx-vs-celebrex.html HTTP/1.1" 200 2958 "-" "Mediapartners-Google/2.1"
    www.digitalpoint.com 67.119.246.182 - - [17/Apr/2005:17:12:47 -0700] "GET /~shawn/scripts/no_adsense.html HTTP/1.1" 200 474 "http://www.digitalpoint.com/~shawn/2005/04/vioxx-vs-celebrex.html" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312"
    www.digitalpoint.com 67.119.246.182 - - [17/Apr/2005:17:44:59 -0700] "GET /~shawn/2005/04/15-per-gallon-gasoline.html HTTP/1.1" 200 3262 "http://www.digitalpoint.com/~shawn/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312"
    www.digitalpoint.com 66.249.66.197 - - [17/Apr/2005:17:45:00 -0700] "GET /~shawn/2005/04/15-per-gallon-gasoline.html HTTP/1.1" 200 3262 "-" "Mediapartners-Google/2.1"
    Code (markup):

digitalpoint, Apr 17, 2005 IP
    blackpudding likes this.
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    It is really amazing to me. I have uploaded pages with new content and by time I get there to view they have appropriate ads on page. The one exception is I am getting Jacksonville, Florida ads instead of Jacksonville, Texas. Doubt if there are many Jacksonville, Texas Adsense users out there.

Shannon

Smyrl, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had noticed this just after the major update in February. I feel that they should be using the adsense code to tell when a new site is coming online and then deep crawling and ranking and promoting that site ;)

NewComputer, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  4. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    I have noticed this too, although it's a little annoying sometimes when I see 100 AdSense bots on my forum ;)

Chrissicom, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yup, also noticed that a while ago. As soon as I uploaded my pages and took a look at them for the first time I already had ads on them.
    And the text links ads, wow, couldn't be more related to my theme.

fryman, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  6. king_cobra

king_cobra Peon

Best Answers:
    If the bot hasnt seen the page yet, it will try to parse the URL string to show the ads. This is a new addition and thats y ads can be seen in real time. If the URL has nothing sensible, then only the PSA or alternate ads will be shown.

king_cobra, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  7. Graywolf

Graywolf Peon

Best Answers:
    I can confirm this. If you use a development server that can't be accessed from the outside it uses the name of the server, directory or file name to build the ads.

Graywolf, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  8. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    New Computer, I've actually seen something like that happening. I uploaded a new site, 0 BL's (and I mean absolutely zero) and I was trialling some code - when I looked in the logs, I was amazed to find that googlebot visited the site. OK it wasn't driven there by the mediapartners bot, but something must have sent it there.

jlawrence, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  9. king_cobra

king_cobra Peon

Best Answers:
    May be your domain registrar or ur hosting company has a link to you in their client base. Also to see no results from link:ursite does not in any sense means that there is no link backs. It will get updated.

king_cobra, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  10. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    We have a directory script and when a search is performed on that site, the mediabot returns content in real time for the results being displayed.

Quite cool.

SEbasic, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  11. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed this since I published AdSense on a forum, but the real time analyzing seems to be lighter, the ads are more relevant after fully spidered.

hurricane_sh, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  12. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    after reading this i am still lost,
    i need to get adsense to call for an alternate url? from a blank page?
    with only this on it?
    h**p://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/google_adsense_script.js

Solicitors Mortgages, May 13, 2005 IP
  13. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Months ago it took about an hour to get relevant ads. Since a couple of months its allmost instantly.

Arnie, May 13, 2005 IP
  14. lingeriediva

lingeriediva Peon

Best Answers:
    I am amazed and impressed with the speed and accuracy mediabot is showing with my new blog entries and the linked pages.

And, to make it easier, I am trying to refine my URLs to include substantive material. Why not? You have to call the file something, why not make it bot friendly?

lingeriediva, May 14, 2005 IP
  15. Solicitors Mortgages

Best Answers:
    thanks Shawn, i think i might have sussed it now,,,,
    of course i had to borrow your page to do it :eek:

thanks again
    GEM

Solicitors Mortgages, May 15, 2005 IP
  16. Solicitors Mortgages

Best Answers:
    nope ...haven't sussed it :(

do i need i block of ads without the url redirect,,,,and one with?

regards
    solicitors mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages, May 16, 2005 IP
  17. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  18. Solicitors Mortgages

Best Answers:
    thanks Shawn...looks like i have it working now after all,
    just did this town
    http://www.justoneuk.com/EastMidlands/Alfreton/Alfreton.htm
    and it all seems to be working just fine, i think :eek:
    couple of anomalies,
    like this fashion page throws up holiday and knee surgery ads,
    apart from that ..thanks a million for the pointer

it feels like i have a totally new website, the first time in the 6 months i have had adsense i can see some relevent ads and hopefully at last can at least provide some assistance for visitors to find what they are looking for...

regards
    Solicitors Mortgages

(thanks for that link also Bernard)

Solicitors Mortgages, May 17, 2005 IP
  19. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm.. This is an interesting thread. If I put adsense at the bottom of a large page, will it have relevant content by the time the whole page is loaded?

fcmisc, Jun 6, 2005 IP
  20. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you really wann block PSA, and donot have alternate ads? then use a blank image a short and small image, you can make your own transparent blank image using any graphics package! upload the image onto your server say root directory and just give the path in adsense alternate url. this will block all PSA. This is what I have done and it works well only problem thoe it creates an empty space in the page!

Imran, Jun 6, 2005 IP