1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

mcdar tools - Any trends?

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by GTech, Mar 6, 2005.

Hi Caryl,

I use your tools quite a bit and have been wondering if you could share any trends on the following:

I ranked top ten for a primary keyword prior to the Feb 3rd-7th (approx) demise. In the past week, I've seen my site/keyword resurface in the "New" datacenters when searching. I'm back on four of the six.

Can you share any trends you've seen along these lines? Does resurfacing in some of the DCs have any trends towards future updates?

Thanks!

GTech, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  2. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello GTech,

I'm sorry I missed your post yesterday.

Short answer to your question - No Trends!

If you were wondering if some datacenters tend to be "dominant" and are most likely to show results that will eventually spread to all of the rest of the Datacenters, there has been no such "trend" over the last year.

--------------------

If your question was more focused on the results since the February "Event"
    --------------------
    Facts: Backlink Updates have NOT spread to all datacenters.

Currently there are ...

-6 Datacenters STILL reporting Backlinks from the January Backlink Update.
    These 6 have been updated then rolled back 4 times.

-9 Datacenters are reporting February Backlinks.
    They were updated to March Backlinks twice then rolled back to February again.

-Some sites have not been effected whatsoever during this whole period.

-Some sites came back to previously held positions and have remained there.

-Some sites have been on a roller coaster ride since Feb. 3rd and this continues to this day.

---------------------

Unfortunately, what has been going on with Google since February 3rd is unpresidented in the whole of 2004.

I have been trying to keep extensive recordings on a few different sites we have and through those recordings noted a few different factors.

I have detailed records showing extreme and constant fluctuations in allinanchor positions (this is unpresidented).

Google February- allinanchor

There are many theories floating around right now as to just what changes were made recently.

It is important to understand that the Google February Event was/is multifacited and no one theory will apply to every situation. In fact many do not acknowledge the fact that Google has experienced and continues to experience problems simply applying the Backlink updates across all of the Datacenters.

To me, this indicates that what many are witnessing with their sites MAY involve problems that Google is having and NOT major flaws in their own particular SEO techniques.

Caryl

mcdar, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  3. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Caryl,

Thank you for the detailed information, it is very helpful. What prompted my asking was, one of my sites where I ranked top 7 for primary keyword dropped off after the 7th. It has reappeared in the "new" DCs showing from left to right begining at DC 3-6.

Oddly enough, one of my other sites is moving for a keyword quite rapidly from nowhere to position 7 in google. When I check that site with your tool, in the "new" section, it shows position 7 in the 1st and 2nd DC, but not in 3-6.

Seeing almost opposite results and noting that one site shows in google's actual serps when occupying DC 1 and 2 from the "new" DC list, then noting my other site which was dropped is creeping back in on DC 3-6 made we wonder if there were any trends here.

If only we could apply pragmatism to the results we see :)

Thanks again for your response and your great tools.

GTech

GTech, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  4. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    GTech,

Your referrence to "actual serps" in your last post leads me to believe that you may not be aware of how Google presents it's results.

When you open your browser window and go to www.google.com that address just redirects you to any of the 64 Datacenters.

Some people searching your keywords will be redirected to Datacenters where you are in a good position and other searchers will be redirected to Datacenters where you are not.

It may be of some help to you to read this article...

About Google Datacenters

Caryl

mcdar, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  5. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Thanks Caryl, fascinating article! I was not aware that results were so varied.

GTech, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  6. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The results wouldn't be jumping around like this if the results weren't jumping around like Mexican Jumping beans.

With the data centers in havoc for certain web pages there is 0 consistency to googles rankings. It plays havoc with sites.

I'd be curious if sites that invest heavily in adsense are suffering from this kind of inconsistency? That would be a disaster in terms of customer relations.

Dave

earlpearl, Mar 7, 2005 IP