1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

McDar Tool - Backlinks and Allinanchor

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by nadlay, Jun 28, 2004.

I'm probably being really stupid, and the answer is probably pretty obvious, but please humour me with a question about the McDar tool.

What is the difference between the Backlinks and Allinanchor columns?

Is it the Backlinks column reports only links external to the website, and the Allinanchor reports both internal and external links?

Is there a distinction between a Backlink and an Allinanchor link?

nadlay, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Backlinks is just a number of you IBLs. Allinanchor is your position when you do the allinanchor search for that kw. Not a count but a position relative to the other competitiors' positions.

T0PS3O, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  3. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    I still don't think that I fully understand the difference between Backlinks and Allinanchor - or, rather, I don't understand why I don't see some sort of correlation between the two.

I understand what you said about the Allinanchor column being a ranking relative to other sites. So that if you have the following:-

Site A 2 Allinachor links
    Site B 200 Allinachor links
    Site C 600 Allinachor links
    Site D 25 Allinachor links
    Site E 15 Allinachor links

Then , the Allinanchor column would be

Site A 5
    Site B 2
    Site C 1
    Site D 3
    Site E 4

(For the purposes of above, I have assumed there are only 5 sites which match the required keyword)

BUT, if I am correct about the above, I would have assumed some sort of correlation to the backlinks column, because the Allinanchor links must be either internal links using the required keyword, or external links using the required keyword.

Calculation of Backlinks
    External Image Links
    +
    External Links with alternative text
    +
    External links with required keyword text

Calculation of Allinanchor links
    Internal links with required keyword text
    +
    External links with required keyword text

SO, I would expect that if you can increase "External links with required keyword text" that your Backlinks column would increase and your Allinanchor ranking would increase. Is that right?

nadlay, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Yes, with the correct anchor text they will both increase. But the allinanchor only if your competitors' allinanchor don't ofcourse.

Keep in mind google does not show all BL's so perhaps it doesn't show all allincanchor results either or not for their true value.

T0PS3O, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  5. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok, so my thinking is alright, and my interpretation of the results seems correct.

SO,

Backlinks are "total external links to the website from sites of PR4 and above" (but the McDar tool does not differentiate between a Pr4 link and a Pr9 link)

Allinanchor is ranking based on the number of times there is an internal or external link to your site which contains the text of the keyword you input to the tool.

I was looking at an analysis of a site (not my own), and keyword:

Extract of Top 10
    6...Pages 321......Backlinks 3......Allinanchor 12
    7...Pages 11700......Backlinks 0......Allinanchor 100+
    8...Pages 1920......Backlinks 1......Allinanchor 44
    Comparison page
    ?...Pages 744......Backlinks 2......Allinanchor 94

The comparison site seems to have most of it's pages containing relevant anchor test, seems to have good on-page optimisation, but is not found ranked for the keyword being searched.

I find the relationship of number of pages, backlinks, and Allinanchor of the Top6 site compared to the comparison site difficult to reconcile.

Could this be explained by the Top 6, 7, and 8 sites having lots of backlinks of PR3 or below?

nadlay, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Will.Spencer, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  7. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Will,

I appreciate your suggestion, and I followed the 2 links you posted, but looking at the raw data didn't really help explain it to me.

What were you expecting me to learn from the links?

nadlay, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  8. chops

chops Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A back link is any-old-link from inside or outside of your site. The nature of the link does not matter. It could be text with any wording or an image with or without alt text.
    This is my understanding of it! :)

chops, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Allinanchor is the relative position of links coming to your site with the exact anchor text that was used in the allinanchor search.

So, you could have 1,000 backlinks but if only 10 of them had "jesus loves me" as the anchor text then an allinachor search for "jesus loves me" would probably not place very high. However if the other 990 links to your site had "jesus sucks" as anchor text then you would expect that site to rank highly for the allinachor search for "jesus sucks".

To repeat one more time, an allinanchor search is done for a specific anchor text and as such is almost independent of the total number of links to a site.

compar, Oct 4, 2004 IP
  10. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    This was a question I posted when I first joined this forum.

Thanks to your help, Compar, and that of many others on this forum, I now have a much better undertsanding of the various terms, and their workings.

nadlay, Oct 4, 2004 IP