1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts Warns Against Buying Links Video + More Matt Cutts Videos on YouTube

Discussion in 'Google' started by shaunclark, Aug 15, 2007.

1. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    I really think there is lots over over boiled excitement about this issues. I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe Google is going to penalize sites for buying links. All I see them doing is devaluing outbound links from sites that they "determine" are selling links without adding the "nofollow" flag to the sold links.

ALL this means is that Google will be doing their best to make sure there is no SERP bonus caused by links that were purchased. This does not put AdWords ads in any preferred class, because one also does not get any SERP/PR bonus for AdWord links they purchase.

This is all about stopping the buying and selling of links to manipulate PR and SERP placement. This has nothing to do with links being purchased to entice the human traffic a site offers. You can buy/sell links all you want, but if you are selling links you should be adding "nofollow" to paid for links if you don't want to mess up your pages ability to spread PR for "organic" links on your site.

I personally have no problems with adding nofollow to links I sell. Several months ago I began to add nofollow flags to new links I sell and phase it in for existing advertisers as their advertising terms come up for renewal.

I would be thrilled if advertisers would come to me because they wanted to target my users rather than search engines with their link purchases because it would mean that their links would probably be of more relevance and use to my users. Some time back I started to routinely rejected advertisers who only wanted to buy links to boost their PR and did not care about targeting my users. Now the nofollow flag makes this task easier as there is no search benefit to buying links on my sites. If you aren't buying links for the traffic I have to offer you probably aren't any appropriate advertiser for my sites.

KLB, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  2. Toolz

Toolz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think if you can afford to buy a link, it shows that your a more serious business than those who can't. Hence you should probably be found first in the engines anyway....

Just my 2 cents...

Toolz, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  3. Waffleguy

Waffleguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a scare tactic, people.

Waffleguy, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  4. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bollocks. Because you're rich doesn't mean your site is worth anything! If you spent that money on developing the site content rather than buying links then it would be a different story.

qazu, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I fully agree, and there are MANY pages out there that do not make money because they are ad free, don't sell something, or whatever...

To say that those sites are not worth as much as your average MFA site says a lot about the people saying it.

Qryztufre, Aug 17, 2007 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  6. Nick...

Nick... Guest

Best Answers:
    SO who the hell is Matt Cutts?

Nick..., Aug 17, 2007 IP
  7. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts used to be Google Guy.

bogart, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  8. Nick...

Nick... Guest

Best Answers:

Used to be?

Nick..., Aug 17, 2007 IP
  9. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    bogart, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  10. mrtsays

mrtsays Peon

Best Answers:
    How are they going to know? On one of my sites I have a few links at the bottom of the page. I sell those ad spots almost just like how you can buy a text link ad.. I mean is really a difference? Will they look at my 4 ad links at the bottom of my page and say hey! its a link site and ban me? I am a bit lost of how they can tell.

mrtsays, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  11. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well we all know that Yahoo gives Google a run for their money. And at times has been outranked as a better SE for business related matters.

But it makes me wonder will Yahoo get as crazy and greedy as Google.

We should not all be sooooooooooo surpised by Googles madness to their thoughts to paid links to push up a site in their SE.

lpstong, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  12. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's true, Yahoo needs to take advantage of Google's greed to gain some market share back. First, they need to start serving more relevant ads on YPN, which goes hand-in-hand with luring more advertisers.

davewashere, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  13. hotd

hotd Banned

Best Answers:
    google is so retarded. if they want to improve the search experience, GET RID OF ARBITRAGERS BUYING ADWORDS FOR PARKING PAGES!!

but no, arbitragers make up a big part of their revenue, and with their stock tumbling, the last thing they would want to do is ban artbirage (although they were supposedly supposed to have done this already in june/july)

hotd, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  14. abraxas

abraxas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree as well

abraxas, Aug 21, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  15. slaphappy

slaphappy Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed. This is designed to scare off the lemmings (like 95% of the people on DP) all the while others are still doing things against "googles rules" (LMAO!) and benefiting.

slaphappy, Aug 21, 2007 IP