1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts Warns Against Buying Links Video + More Matt Cutts Videos on YouTube

Discussion in 'Google' started by shaunclark, Aug 15, 2007.

1. hotd

hotd Banned

Best Answers:
    is google punishing for SELLING links or BUYING links?

because if they punish for buying links, why dont i just buy a trillion link farm links for my competitors and then report them?

fuck matt cutts

hotd, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  2. imnajam

imnajam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess they will punish the one who is selling in a way that the link from seller site will give no juice, in this way the buyer will have no benefit of these links(just like link with nofollow)

imnajam, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  3. User_Online

User_Online Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why can't this guy crawl into a whole and stay there?

User_Online, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  4. joshbond

joshbond Peon

Best Answers:
    Great question, thats what I was wondering also.

joshbond, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  5. hotd

hotd Banned

Best Answers:
    i am interetsed to hear what other ways goog and algorithmically identify links.. any ideas?

hotd, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  6. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But that's just it, if you want PR/SERPs benefit. With NOFOLLOW tags you get no PR/SERP benefit but you can still get traffic from the site you bought the links. NOFOLLOW doesn't block traffic so you can still benefit, just not from Google, and that's all they want!

qazu, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  7. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts warned about paid links back in 2005

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/text-links-and-pagerank/

The only approved paid link is adwords.

Google has 12,000 guys in India working at Google Eval checking on the paid link reports and doing 'hand jobs'

bogart, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  8. spice

spice Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can Buying in Yahoo directory back fire with Google?

spice, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  9. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Send Google $299 also if you are worried.

bogart, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  10. JKE

JKE Peon

Best Answers:
    I wish they'd slam people who pay for links/link exchanges & garbage directory sites.

99.9% of them are obvious and i would guess writing something to detect them (in the state most are in today) would not be difficult.

How often do you see a paid link site that contains links within the middle of a related (legitimately written) paragraph? never

I went through an entire section of DMOZ last week and wanted to just vomit.

Not only were the worst most pathetic sites/links first, but many were just dead & i'd say 5 out of 100++ were even legitimate. Many were ~blank dirtectories themselves. This applies to nearly every directory i've ever seen.

I could give a rip if every templated directory was de-listed from the internet.

All this is doing is garbaging up the internet

I've found over the years that only a small amount of legitimate website owners exist (in comparison) & actually care about the quality & impact of what they are doing & creating. Quality is completey out the window.

Sadly, the people i know making the most money (more than i do) run sites that completely exist off of (+/-paid) links (for arbitrage) & if there's ever a return visitor it's by pure accident. Absolutely nothing on their website is quality or unique.

It's hardly exclusive to the engine itself. If google gave a rip they'd simply disallow garbage sites (it's not like they don't review them) to advertise.

Google conveniently uses the 'it's our company our pricing' approach to make money. Not quality. Nothing else.

When i see ads that are like hello-and-welcome-to-my-bullshit-domain.com the only reflex i have is of gagging. I could throw up at another ringtone, directory & template-driven site advertisement.

The fact that entire companies have been made to filter the garbage google intentionally allows isn't an accident.

I don't think i need to go down the obvious list of how easy it is to note a bullshit website (immediately). It's not a coincidence that users can't easily, intuitively & intelligently filter adsense ads.

They have one thing in mind and that is money. Just like the 50k+ domains that have 5 dashes &/or a full sentence.com registered pulling ranks and turning over into an obvious (most often form of arbitrage) ROI.

Every single time i try to find a review of any type of equipment it is a complete fuckshow of bullshit 'buy now' results on google. Adding the keyword 'review' to a search is like committing suicide.

Quality information & quality websites are getting harder and harder to find in search results.

Google warns this & Google warns that. You talk the talk but you sure as hell don't walk the walk. The only thing google walks on is quality.

JKE, Aug 16, 2007 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  11. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    "Matt Cutts says" = baseless propoganda.

Lexiseek, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  12. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    You sure about that ?

Thats like saying all the "banned" members here at digitalpoint can sue Shawn......

I mean if you violate TOS ( selling links ) they have every right to ban you................

sundaybrew, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  13. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    google is being more intresting day by day.

while they are selling links, it's not a problem.

but small fish can not sell links

trichnosis, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  14. shaunclark

shaunclark Peon

Best Answers:
    shaunclark, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  15. shaunclark

shaunclark Peon

Best Answers:
    shaunclark, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  16. Dogs_and_things

Dogs_and_things Active Member

Best Answers:
    What´s wrong with having to earn your ranking by offering quality content instead of being able to buy it?

Dogs_and_things, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  17. hotd

hotd Banned

Best Answers:
    easier said than done. if your competitors are buying links, then you have to also, regardless of how great your content is

"if you cant beat them, join them"

hotd, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  18. Dogs_and_things

Dogs_and_things Active Member

Best Answers:
    I for one hope that we will live the day in which buying links turns out to be useless when it comes to boosting rankings.

Btw. My rankings are very nice without buying links, I don´t know what my competitors are doing.

Dogs_and_things, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  19. Linc4Justice

Linc4Justice Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't get it, I've seen probloggers like Darren Rowse and John Chow hawking text-link agencies like Text-Link-Ads without giving ANY indication at all that using this type of income stream could possibly penalize your Google rankings. I really would like to know about these things before hopping on board and then 6 months later I find myself wondering why my Google rank suddenly went from 6 to -3 . :rolleyes:

Linc4Justice, Aug 16, 2007 IP
  20. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Yes - All they care about is making the referral fee, they could care less what happens to your site l............

sundaybrew, Aug 16, 2007 IP