1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts says Co-op is bad???

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by t2dman, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sure Google sell adverts, NOT links this is the big difference here.

I am NOT defending Google by any means, but those who buy links answer this question HONESTLY ;)

"how many of the links I buy, would I buy if they had the nofollow tag applied?"

I ask this because it is this which distinguishes an advert from a bought 'link'. If you are buying advertising, then you really don't give a rats fart about how the link is configured (unless they are using technology that prevents a portion of websurfers from seeing the advert). If you are buying traffic, then the configuration is not an issue. If it IS an issue, then you are buying a backlink (even if it is a consideration that affects whether or not you buy, it is NOT an advert per se).

It might appear a bit black and white, but I would say that is how Google will distinguish.

Old Welsh Guy, May 20, 2006 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Simple truths often are black and white.

minstrel, May 20, 2006 IP
  3. stuey

stuey Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, I think you missed this one ;)

stuey, May 20, 2006 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Indeed ;) you know that, and I know that, but there are those who would sell their mother rather than admit they are not buying advertising, they are buying backlinks :)

5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    But that isn't what the poster quoted. He quoted me saying that AdSense scripted links do not inflate PR.

Maybe you're right about his intention, but the post as it is doesn't make sense to me.

Were you able to get a price on those mothers, OWG?

Old Welsh Guy likes this.
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    I have been given a quote on a mother, but she is only 5'4" I wanted one with a better Height Rank than that. Even though this mother will stand in leicester Square all day, and Millions of tourists will see my sign for cheap underground tickets, I STILL think that having a mother with 2" or more Height rank will do me more good, regardless of where she is standing :D

7. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you find really ugly mothers or really hot mothers receive more traffic? :eek: My research says ugly mothers convert more; hot mothers just attract browsers.

TheHoff, May 20, 2006 IP
    Old Welsh Guy likes this.
  8. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    I spent way more on the Hot mothers for very little return, in fact I acted like I ad more money than I ad sense <groan>

9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I expect she feels the same way about you :D

Really? I would have thought the opposite - that browsing hot mothers would loosen wallets more frequently. :eek:

I always thought that was just part of being Welsh. :)

10. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    what are you guys talking about?

noone's buying links for better ranking, PR or indexing, everyone knows it's against google guidelines ;)

DomainMagnate, May 21, 2006 IP
  11. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    I found the following statement by Matt Cutts really interesting

I consider that Matt gives one of the main reasons that sites continue to have pages in supplimental results, or badly indexed. In the first days of big daddy, my PR6 index page forum disappeared into supplemental. Once Googleguy/Matt had made the changes, within weeks my site was back.

I consider that my site got back so soon because it had high PR, and top SEO - no dup content or other issues.

Basically, I see that many sites have low PR, and have one or more SEO things incorrect. Like too much interlinking between your own sites, or need to have vBSEO on your site, or not using unique titles and meta descriptions, or over using reciprocals, or the coop... These are probably enough to mean that Bigdaddy is not including the sites in the main index, that the settings that initially effected my site, and were turned down to include my site, and others; that the settings have not been turned down enough to effect other people sites.

My premise is that if you get more things on you sites correct, that you will then get over that Bigdaddy threshhold, and so be able to have your pages properly indexed.

I certainly see that for sites that I SEO correctly, and when I get them good PR, that the pages rise rather nicely to where they should sit on the SERP's.

t2dman, May 21, 2006 IP
  12. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I picked one of my spammiest sites, Buying and Selling on eBay, and ran a little test on it.

It had somewhere around 20k of co-op weight pointed to it. I pointed 66k of co-op weight to it. Traffic dropped around 75%.

The site dates from very late 2004, but it has never had a good number of natural high-quality inbound links. It is well submitted to directories and I have written and submitted an article or two promoting it.

The drop happened so quickly that there is good reason to question the cause and effect relationship between the coop change and the site's penalty.

It should be noted that the original ~20k of coop weight, according to the guesstimates presented in this thread, was way too high already. However, it had a noticeably positive effect. Traffic is now down to the volume where it was with no coop weight pointed to the site.

Will.Spencer, May 21, 2006 IP
  13. w529

w529 Banned

Best Answers:
    My 2 cents
    I think any temporary link is bad, here today gone tomorrow, it simply doesn’t look good on your google records.
    Link-vault looks like a nice solution, but sooner or later google will be able to detect it, and will simply ignore the links.
    Just go back to natural linking, is the time proven solution.
    Cheers

w529, May 21, 2006 IP
  14. Big Richard

Big Richard Peon

Best Answers:
    It would be foolish to think that google can't detect LV links - If you look into LV in enough depth, you will find that most sites with LV inflated Google SERP's dropped extreamly heavily last October/November - I am not sure about COOP inflated sites, but I believe the alogrithm change at the end of last year pretty much put an end to the use of COOP/LV type programs to inflate SERP's, and anyone overdoing it got completely knocked off the radar.

Big Richard, May 22, 2006 IP
  15. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    It is possible to overdo anything. But you will actually find a good number of sites that are doing quite well with the LV. Especially sites that already rank okay, and have high PR, and just need that little extra push so their serps go from okay to excellent.

t2dman, May 22, 2006 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    LV links should be even easier to detect than Coop links, and discount. I suspect that for sites doing well with either Coop or LV, the key is probably the non-Coop/LV links, not the Coop/LV links.

minstrel, May 22, 2006 IP
  17. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Google uses an interdependent algorithm. 20k of weight on one site might represent 1% of the overall linking element, while on another it might be 50% or more. It is ludicrous to think that the rule is applied across the board with an even hand.

Constantly we here, Matt Cutts and other sources use phrases like ' seems like most of them, or a lot of those or that' etc. Because Google uses a base 5 sliding scale algo they can take into account just about any combination of elements, and act accordingly.

If a site is about a subject, contains plenty of unique information about that subject, is linked to by other highly respected sources on that subject, plus a host of lesser on topic pages then it is unlikely that being involved in LV etc will have much of an effect. The opposite will be true as well.

Old Welsh Guy, May 22, 2006 IP
  18. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    OWG:

My point on that note was that, according to conventional wisdom in this topic, 20k was way too much for this site. This site isn't a winner by any measure that I can imagine.

Will.Spencer, May 22, 2006 IP
  19. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    I suspect not :D

t2dman, May 22, 2006 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    OK. I'll see your suspect and I'll raise you a suspect. :)

minstrel, May 22, 2006 IP