1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts Makes Comment about the 27th

Discussion in 'Google' started by Chiara, Jul 7, 2006.

1. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess the question would be does Google zero the PR of the originating site?

I guess I should have asked this first because in reality I don't know if it ever zero's it.

It's quite possible that it does not as this is how the value is passed. Since the links to the old URL still exist, my guess would be so does the PR for it. If the links were to change (ie all of them removed) then there would be no value to pass to the target. The 301 simply passes value on to the target site as long as the originating URL and 301 remains in place. Removing value would cause nothing to be passed on.

Dave

CrankyDave, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  2. alephito

alephito Peon

Best Answers:
    When I redirected the forum to the new URL I updated all the links in the main site. This was the main source of links so it should have effected negatively the PR of the old URL after a while. But it did not after eight months.

alephito, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  3. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    Since PR is a function of IBL's and not OBL's I'm not sure why the PR of the forum would be affected. Am I missing something?

Dave

CrankyDave, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You cannot understand what is going on in Google these days unless you understanmd this:

1. Big daddy was a major update that attempted to change the way Google handled more than one issue.

2. It was a badly flawed update which broke more than it fixed.

3. Google knows it was flawed. They have here and there made small acknowledgements about features broken but they're not about to admit publicly to the extent of it.

4. Big Daddy has been patched several times but clearly is still a mess. The most telling evidence of this is the existence of pages in the index from over a year ago - in many cases pages which no longer even exist - and the absence in the index of newer pages which WERE INDEXED BEFORE BIG DADDY.

5. Big Daddy badly corrupted the databases.

6. Big Daddy badly corrupted the filters.

7. Big Daddy was a monumental mistake.

8. Google has not yet determined how to fix all of the things that went wrong with Big Daddy.

minstrel, Jul 13, 2006 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  5. alephito

alephito Peon

Best Answers:
    When I redirected the forum I also changed all the IBL's (OBL's from my main site) to the new URL. The old URL lost all its IBL's so the PR should have been lowered.

6. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It will show the same PR as the new page, not 0. I just verified this with an old 301 I have. If you type in the address of the old page into Google search box, and it shows the info for the new address, then Google knows about the 301. For instance, look at this search:
    http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=endlesspoetry.com
    Even though the non-www version of that page was queried, Google knows it is 301'd to the www version, so that is what is displayed, and if I put that into a multi-dc PR checker, the PR of the new page is what is pulled from Google. I also have examples from 301'ing from one domain to another doing the same thing if you need. It's what the whole "faking PR" thing is based on.

Both URL's having a PR5 doesn't mean that the 301 was found, although it might mean that. Like I said above, when you type the old URL into the search box, what address shows under the results?

-Michael

mvandemar, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  7. alephito

alephito Peon

Best Answers:
    The new one.

8. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Then, what query is showing the page as being supplemental results? PM me please if you don't want to post it.

<edit>Ok, based on what you PM'd me, there is something that you think would have happened, but doesn't. Once you 301 an entire domain Google must revisit every old page on a page by page basis to get it right. I mean, yes, eventually if it doesn't visit the old page in a long enough time it should completely drop out of the index, but realistically speaking that could take years.

Here's my suggestion. Do a search on your supplementals. Make a page, call it "PagesThatHaveMoved.htm" or some such, and put the first 50 links that come up in the serps on that page (all old addresses). Link to this new page from your homepage. Check in a week. Once Google has found those 50 redirects and dealt with them properly, take the first 50 down and do 50 more. If you have a high enough link value, you should be able to rotate out the links every couple of days. Yes, this is tedious. However, it should work.</edit>

-Michael

9. alephito

alephito Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right, Michael, and I was wrong.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it and I will report my results.

10. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, agreed.

I think Scotty is the only one who could fix this engine - beam 'em down to the googleplex, fast! :eek:

Christopher, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  11. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is your 301 a redirect match 301?

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  12. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah OWG, I looked at it... the page structure is exactly the same, he just moved it to a subdomain.

-Michael

13. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What I ordinarily see is that the link benefit takes normally one, sometimes two backlink updates before both PR and complete link benefit is passed on.

Who knows how it works since BD though :(

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  14. MikeSwede

MikeSwede Peon

Best Answers:
    June 27th!
    Here's what I found in the SiteMap errors:
    http://www.domain.com/search/search/kennel/admin/index.php?catid=423 Domain name not found [?] Jun 27, 2006
    That path doesn't even exist on my server!! so something went hay-wire that day and I still doesn't have a clue. I don't even know how to get Google to f***ing understand that there is not path like that!!!

MikeSwede, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  15. MN Sandy

MN Sandy Guest

Best Answers:
    1000+ pages and all like cached in May???

MN Sandy, Jul 15, 2006 IP
  16. redhits

redhits Notable Member

Best Answers:
    matt cutts didn't worked on google for 3 weeks now, and only returned this week to work?! I mean ... maiby he is WRONG

redhits, Jul 15, 2006 IP
  17. Buckenmeyer

Buckenmeyer Guest

Best Answers:
    I installed the Yahoo bar and am using it for searches now. The problem is that one search engine cant be the sole source of traffic on the net; there needs to be more balance, more large sources of traffic.

Buckenmeyer, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  18. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Try the MSN toolbar.

Unfortunately, I still get over 80% of my SE traffic from Google. MSN is second at about 13-14%. Yahoo is a distant 3rd or sometimes 4th behind AOL Search depending on the month.

minstrel, Jul 16, 2006 IP
  19. Elee

Elee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We also get the lion's share of traffic from Google. Yahoo has all but disappeared as a source of traffic for us.

Elee, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  20. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    Yes Yahoo has dropped dramatically for me as well.
    However ask jeeves has more than made up for it:confused: ...I didn't think anyone used ask jeeves to search anymore.

Cyclops, Jul 19, 2006 IP