1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts Gives Insight To Bigdaddy

Discussion in 'Google' started by Las Vegas Homes, May 16, 2006.

1. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is just the webmasters who have been hit by the latest Google blunder who dislike Google. If I was to go to a non-webmaster and say "hey, Do you use google and are you happy with the search results?" I bet they would be very happy and never even mention they have noticed any problem at all.

So unless all us webmasters convert to YPN or the like, it won't mean squat.

gford, May 18, 2006 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think we were lamenting our lack of PR... we were laughing at what a farce it had become. No offense to the site owner here (hey, L!) but there was a prime example of a brand new site on DP that pulled a PR8 on the last update.... c'mon now... Many top 1000 Alexas are PR7 and 6. That is obviously broken as you need multiple PR9 links (or a similar sum) to achieve it.

TheHoff, May 18, 2006 IP
  3. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    It is like losing your vision... people don't notice as things become blurrier because it blurs out slowly. Google has become a dung pile but it has done so slowly as to not alert the average user.

I've found though if you point out the spam they will notice how it has increased since they first used Google.

And people DO notice inconsistency. If you search for something one day, go back the next and the site is no longer in the results-- they do notice. However, I think it will take major media spending to direct them elsewhere to another engine.

btw, I'm not picking sour grapes here; my money makers have improved throughout this last mess of an update

TheHoff, May 18, 2006 IP
  4. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I was just reading some of those comments on matt cutts blog, .... I like that guy who essential says you should model your site after matt cutts blog

I sometimes wonder do these people have day jobs?

ferret77, May 18, 2006 IP
  5. torunforever

torunforever Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're going to use a vision analogy, then you should realize that you're like someone with tunnel vision. You only see Google through the eyes of a webmaster. Not everybody who's using Google is shopping for something, and it's the shopping-keywords where most of the spam occurs. So in many instances Google is still superior to other search engines, and even in the areas you think they may be slipping, the other search engines aren't much better anyway.

If your wish is for Google to lose market share, and have Yahoo and MSN take over the lead, you're just going to have more of the same.

torunforever, May 18, 2006 IP
  6. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    No argument from me on that one; the other two options are just as spamfilled and easier to manipulate.

TheHoff, May 18, 2006 IP
  7. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    What originally hooked me on Google was that it had relevant results, and I could repeat a search later in the week and most likely get the same results, in the same order. Then they went to everflux, and you can hit your refresh button and at times see something else.
    I think what got Google the initial boost was appearances and mentions on the morning talk/news shows, I think I remember an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America. It worked for iWon, if I remember correctly they were on GMA first.
    Ask.com is doing alot of commercials:
    http://about.ask.com/en/docs/about/televisionads.shtml
    My advice to Apostolos Gerasoulis is increase the size of the search database and make the rounds of the morning shows... I do like the feel, and generally I like the results. A toolbar of some kind would not hurt...

NetMidWest, May 18, 2006 IP
  8. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    Indian, May 18, 2006 IP
  9. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    take off the www. yahoo and msn both put their content off of the www subdomain and put elsewhere. You'll see millions of index pages.

lorien1973, May 18, 2006 IP
  10. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
  11. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Because Yahoo and MSN keep most of their content on subdomains... finance.yahoo.com, movies.yahoo.com, etc.

TheHoff, May 18, 2006 IP
  12. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Huh. Google is dropping hundreds of my pages on a daily basis now. Oh well.
    MSN doesn't have those many either. Right now I have most pages indexed by Yahoo which makes me wonder why Googlebot and MSNbot are by far the most active on my sites.
    Lookst to me as if the cards are being shuffled again. I'd say generally thats a good thing.

andre75, May 18, 2006 IP
  13. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    So does google

Indian, May 18, 2006 IP
  14. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    LaCabra, May 18, 2006 IP
  15. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, that is why site:www.google.com shows 15 million and site:google.com shows 45 million. If you don't understand now, I give up.

TheHoff, May 18, 2006 IP
  16. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    I do understand that. But www.yahoo.com does not have only 638 pages?

Try the same search on other engines and see the results.

Indian, May 18, 2006 IP
  17. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you use the firefox extension called search status you will see that it uses site:yahoo.com. Perhaps that is the more accurate one.

Web Gazelle, May 18, 2006 IP
  18. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks like Google has chosen not to index their content that starts with www.yahoo.com/? and MSN has. You can't compare it to Yahoo indexing itself because they include subdomains in the results.

The same thing for Yahoo indexing MSN... Google has chosen not to index URLS starting with www.msn.com/? while Yahoo does.

Google having 391 million results for Yahoo! doesn't appear to be broken. Maybe the non-indexing of www.example.com/? is a problem, maybe it was a choice to avoid excess content that appears auto-generated.

TheHoff, May 18, 2006 IP
  19. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    In that case why are they indexing so many pages with www.google.com? Cos they are Google and dont like Yahoo or MSN? These results were not the same before the Big Daddy so IMO Google is doing it on purpose or is broken.

Indian, May 18, 2006 IP
  20. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Because google.com doesn't use URLs like

www.google.com/?

while MSN and Yahoo both do. Whether Google is not indexing them by choice or because of broken behaviour is up for debate.

TheHoff, May 18, 2006 IP