1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts Gives Insight To Bigdaddy

Discussion in 'Google' started by Las Vegas Homes, May 16, 2006.

1. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They did have a couple of those things going with a site of mine, but they fixed it about 2 months ago.

Web Gazelle, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  2. wibr

wibr Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep. Just tore through new and old logs this morning and sure enough, I've got more 404's than I've ever seen. Hmmm.... I really hope google is gonna fix this soon. I can do all kinds of patch work to get through this, but I feel like I'm just wasting time putting bandaids on my site in order to work around a problem that google created.

I also checked on something you mentioned earlier about Yahoo. Same here. It's slurping like crazy. I'm getting more visits from yahoo on all three of my sites than I've ever gotten. That's nice to see and should help some with my loss of google traffic.

Ya know, I'm very happy to give google what they want in regards to site development. I have no problems abiding by their guidelines. It's just business after all. But in this case I simply don't know what they want or what I can do to resolve this?

wibr, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not convinced it's anything anybody but Google can resolve, wibr.

I'm still getting most of my SE traffic from Google but the rate Yahoo and MSN are spidering tells me that they may start to gain some real ground if Google doesn't clean up its act soon.

minstrel, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is that even if Yahoo and MSN spider like their lives depended on it and their algo's give perfect results with no spam it will take them years to take substantial market share from google.

75% of people in the UK think google is the internet - how can you change that?

mad4, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Multiple stabbings until they smarten up is the usually recommended DigitalPoint method.

6. wibr

wibr Peon

Best Answers:
    lol!

Ya know the more I research this "thing" the more I realize how screwed up it is. Also I really don't know how long it's been happening to my sites. My traffic always fluctuates and I don't worry about traffic ups and downs. But for the last two weeks it's been sinking like a stone. So I took a long hard look.

After researching this forum and a few others, plus analyzing my logs and chatting with some competitors (who are also friends) over the last few days, I realize this has nothing to do with webmasters.

There is no rhyme or reason to any of this. .ASP, PHP, blogs, forums, html, shtml, .pl and every type of page known to mankind has been deindexed, or not. Sites from diverse markets such as: real estate, personal sites, adult sites, florists, etc... all hit, or not hit. I simply can't find an underlying theme.

Maybe google really is broken?

The one issue that really convinces me of this is the reindexing/listing of old pages in the google SERPS. That is entirely the fault of google. I mean if a webmaster deletes a page from their site and removes the links to it then we should expect it, in time, to be removed from google's index. If they can't get that right then they have a serious issue. I should not, nor should anyone else, be expected to send google a personal note everytime I delete a page.

Until google fixes that I don't see how they can lay blame at anyone else's feet. All of this sits squarely on google's shoulders.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. It wasn't aimed at anyone (well yeah, google). Just stating my opinion.

wibr, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  7. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:

If anything this will make me feel better about seeing indexed/cached content from years ago. I wouldn't have spent all that money on writers if I knew they were going to stop indexing it.

I'll cut you FOOL!

ServerUnion, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  8. wibr

wibr Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm feeling your pain. I didn't pay for my content, but I did write it. Every keystroke of it. Hundreds of pages.

Well I'm still researching this fiasco. Here's the deal as of this very minute.

I have 3 sites (we'll call'em A, B, and C). A and B have been absolutely hammered by this latest google debacle. But C, the newest one, is unscathed. After the last few hours of reviewing logs and traffic I see that C is performing better than ever and has a traffic increase of approximately 70% over last month.

The first 2 (A and B) have had the majority of their pages deindexed. Site A, the largest and oldest, is showing very old pages in the index. Some as old as 6 months. Site B is not showing older pages in the index. All of its pages have been deindexed with the exception of the index page.

Then there's site C. It's only 5 months old so it's the newest by far. It's built exactly the same as sites A and B, but with its own subject matter and a different template and CSS for a different look and feel. Site C is being indexed like crazy. And it gets the fewest googlebot visits of the 3.

I have reviewed every single variable for these 3 sites. EVERYTHING. And there's only one difference. Sites A and B have xml google sitemaps. Site C has an XML google sitemap too, but I never submitted it. When I log into my google sitemaps account site C does NOT show. I forgot to include it when I built the thing.

Well there is one other difference too, site C is less than 6 months old.

And yet site C is kicking butt in google. Could my sitemaps have been the problem? They were updated weekly. I don't know if that's it or not, but I'm gonna find out...

wibr, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  9. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lol, we must bring this to the attention of Bill Gates.

maldives, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    66% of stats are made up. I doubt many people think google is the internet. Maybe their first place to look for things on it, though.

lorien1973, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  11. Caios

Caios Peon

Best Answers:
    I get a lot more traffic from being 12th on google than I do for being 1st on MSN.

Caios, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    It's actually worse than that. In my case, the old WERE gone from the index and the newer pages were included. Since Big Daddy, the new ones have disappeared and the old ones have come back again.

This is old data - from last summer.

13. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:

I think what Maldives was saying was that 75% is the share of search in the UK that Google enjoys. In the Uk there is no other search engine in the eyes of the web user, it is all google. (well 3/4 or 75% to be correct).

He wasn't suggesting that we brits are all so dumb that we can't tell the difference between the web and google, it was a figure of speach, as in 'television is his life' or 'I would kill for a nice cold beer' etc, it was simply forcing the issue of importance of Google to UK users. If you are not in Google in the Uk you are NOT in the game.

Old Welsh Guy, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  14. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks OWG for backing me up :)

mad4, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    In Scotland and Ireland, "I would kill for a beer" isn't a figure of speech - they mean it.

minstrel, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  16. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Classic, It is also true in Wales. The saying goes, take my money, sleep with my wife, but touch my beer and your a deadman ;)

Old Welsh Guy, Jun 15, 2006 IP