1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts and the paid links

Discussion in 'Google' started by pixads, Apr 16, 2007.

1. cldnails

cldnails Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love the way Matt Cutt's avoids all of the important questions in his comments, but answers the easy breezy cover-girl ones. He's skirting the issue.

cldnails, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  2. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is an attempt from Google that can be "never resolved" and makes people feel bad about them.

The only way, and Google has the money, is to make human edited search engines.

But wait a minute, they are in for the mass and big bucks, doesn't sound quality either.

Arnie, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  3. imteaz

imteaz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    this is very bad move by google. i believe it will reduce buying link & sell.
    but i dont understand, why google doing it. but interesting thing is, lets see how they catch those ppl who buy links.

imteaz, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    They are doing it to stop people buying their way to the top of the natural listings.

mad4, Apr 16, 2007 IP
    Arnie likes this.
  5. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Though i am not that harsh about Google because its still better than Yahoo! and Live. But yes its not Google's quality its badness of Yahoo! and Live.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=289603
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470704
    http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-forum/52950-google-search-quality-decreasing-time.html

General consensus is that quality is decreasing... :eek:

Mong, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  6. almir

almir Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep

He hasnt answered on any important questions.

He has no answer on how they will detect what links are paid, he has no answer on question will we be able to link to our own sites, he doesnt want to answer on question why we cant sell links and almighty Google is purely advertising company, and so on...

I noticed that Google is more idiotic each day, but this is top of idiotism

PS. I have never sold any link on my websites and bought only one in my life, but this is too much, even from Google :mad:

almir, Apr 16, 2007 IP
    cldnails likes this.
  7. bochgoch

bochgoch Peon

Best Answers:
    That's certainly how it looks to me -- there are so many other things G should focus on to improve the relevance of SERPs before this.

However, I'm not sure that this is very well thought through from G's perspective -- more something Matt Cutts has mentioned in passing than a well thought out strategy they intend to pursue. So no need to panic - YET!

bochgoch, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  8. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lol, they will have their cookies in your bank acoount, paypal etc. and overall control over your live remotely by robots.

The question is, when will it become a beast?

Arnie, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  9. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    one more thing, who is gonna spend time reporting the paid links ???

forumrating, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  10. longhand

longhand Peon

Best Answers:
    btw. Matt already wrote a post with a very similar content here more than 1.5 years ago and this business (sponsored links) still rocks....

longhand, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  11. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With a "get paid for reporting paid links"?

They are under pressure, because adword users have already discovered a cheaper way to promote their services and sites. Does anyone here believe that google would reject them when they use adwords to offer paid links? I don't think so.

It's all about money and control.

When someone pays, lets say for a PR4 site $200 per year it would cost you with adwords approx. five times(or more) the amount with no or little effect compared to a human selected sites as the trend is now.

There are limits to automation.

Arnie, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  12. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think this will reduce buying & selling links, but will just increase it. To a level that most links which you see will be paid or have some type of benefit to the publisher.

Domain's and hosting are dirt cheap and webmasters will basically experiment different techniques, to figure out 'What works' & what not.

Have you ever tried to purchase adwords ads? You pay anywhere from $0.50 - $3.50 p/click in most general cases.

Google is repeatedly bringing up the issue of link buying & selling, and with the new web 2.0, news on the internet spreads like fire.

I think google, which depends mainly on revenue generated by ads, is in fear that sales could decline as people prefer buying links rather then dynamic advertising such as adwords.

Publishers as well find it more profitable to sell links directly rather then to use adsense for revenue. So this is another concern for google.

Do you remember the 'Google Bomb' , 'miserable failure' link to whitehouse.gov.

Google which itself is powered by 'Links' is basically challenging the hundreds of thousands of webmasters on the internet.

The ones which chicken out, will never succeed.

Excellent Article mad4

adnan, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  13. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have made screenshot of Google's guidelines regarding links, ranking and PR. They have started this and they do not have the right to crack down on it arbitrarily.
    I made the screen-shot least they chage it. I found link exchange illegal --but have not seen anything that Paid links/buying links are in any way SPAMs and are gainst Google's policies. Let Matt Cutts know that --he will have to face the webmasters.

I don't think he is all-in-all in Google --and if oppsoed my the webmasters community in the form of AdSense/AdWord boycott --he will face the music too ( If he is the initiator of this particular policy):D

jhnrang, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  14. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not my article.:)

mad4, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  15. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is more complex than that.

Sure people can get their sites to the top buying links, but I think there is an large element of the fact that paid links compete with google ads.

Notting

(g$$gle know what they want)

Notting, Apr 16, 2007 IP
    vegabond likes this.
  16. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    time to write a script that randomly submits reports for sites. Maybe once google gets a few million false positives they will realize how bad their idea is here.

1EightT, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  17. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    bad competitors :mad:

Mong, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  18. sarathy

sarathy Peon

Best Answers:
    What about link exchanges then?

sarathy, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  19. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    are there so many bad competitors who would report paid links of all the sites existing on the internet ?

forumrating, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  20. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Probably no different in Google's eyes! Instead of exchanging link for money you exchange link for link. You think I'm joking, but using their warped logic anything's possible!

CountryBoy, Apr 16, 2007 IP