1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts and the paid links

Discussion in 'Google' started by pixads, Apr 16, 2007.

1. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't laugh, you'll probably cry:D

egdcltd, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  2. Forsh

Forsh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google Adsense should be against the quality of the internet. It has spawned nothing but fake, low quality, irrelevant sites, just to make money.

Forsh, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  3. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    I am not going to whether paid links gonna harm a site or not..
    I am more concerned about if Google is going to do any thing with paid links are they able to make a perfect algorithm or system to differentiate between a paid link or non-paid link. IMO it is almost impossible to say whether a link is paid or not..And on the top of that what is the definition of a Paid link?? just those links are paid which bought by Money ? I dont think so...

And what if people get "Devalued" just because someone reported and/or Google thought they are selling links on their website while they are not.

Why even Devalue links? why not just stick their asses to work on relevancy and the quality of a webpage even if a link is paid but is highly relevant and point to a really good quality site??

They are doing this just to distract people from their buggy and recently became substandard Algorithm and their inability to filter junk and spam sites at their end.

As Matt stated this move is gonna help those Mom-n-Pop sites, but IMO its gonna harm them the most.

How will you start getting links? you cant buy them, If you send mails to people asking them to link to your site, how many do you think will generously do so? and if you dont have links them people aint going to find your site so forget about getting them to link to you naturally.

So this whole thing is nothing but bullshit.

The Webmaster, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  4. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting point. How do you define if a link is paid for or not? If it isn't directly paid for with money, how about indirectly?

For example, you pay for a script to be made, then distribute it free of charge with a link at the bottom. Are these links paid for or not? If you hadn't paid, in some way- whether time, money or something else - for the script, you wouldn't have got those links.

egdcltd, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  5. Computer(Jew)

Computer(Jew) Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I strongly believe that a dedicated 10 people team can easily elimiate 80% of false PR, or at least eliminate PR that is caused by sites entirely dedicated to it such as paid directories, links clouds, etc...
    It only takes a few people to cover the majority of strong directories, clouds, paid linking spots and eliminate false importance generated by such sites.

Questions is, will they decide to do it? Are they doing it already ?

Computer(Jew), Apr 28, 2007 IP
  6. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe it would be better to concentrate on elimiating any spammy sites from the top of the listings first.

egdcltd, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  7. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's never been any mention of not being allowed to buy links for your site, the suggestion is to ignore, read that word again - ignore, bought links. It's not about banning sites that buy ads its about improving search results. When your visitors find your quality site via your ads and start adding links to it, your site will recieve the ranking it deserves.

Perrow, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  8. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I find it hard to believe that 10 ppl could make more than a minor dent in false PR. That is if they're not writing some algo to do the work automatically.

Perrow, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    66 Ways to Build Links in 2007

minstrel, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  10. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    dcristo, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  11. princejohn

princejohn Peon

Best Answers:
    Business people started to buy links even before google came into the scene.

It appears to me too much, that a third party dictates what you do in your home. At first it was a "no_follow" flagging, now a little more with "report", and then even a little more too. Brain twister.

Unfortunately many threads seem to attack Matt Cutts - it is not about a guy who happens to be telling the world what is going on inside his organization.

The rage, though understandable is unwarranted in a sense. Just because Google sends 90% of target to my site doesn't mean I have to bow lowly to everything that this SE says. Just, ignore the call. It also appears Google's algorithm has reached a dead end!

princejohn, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  12. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    I hate it when experts come and choose to answer only a 'part' of the post..
    for some reason that I dont know both of you acknowledged the same part of the post.. but chosen to avoid the top 2 questions..
    i.e.
    1. Are they able to make a perfect system to differentiate between a paid link or non-paid link, What if an innocent site/page/webmaster gets devalued. (if an innocent site gets devalued, then its certainly a penalty IMO, and that too a wrong penalty)

2. how to define whether a link is paid.

anyone has answers??

And ministrel the link you provided applies to blogs (almost, if not strictly) and not to average mom-n-pop sites..

The Webmaster, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    1. This is not a new issue and your questions have been answered many time in the past. Google has been working on and improving its ability to detect various kinds of what they call SE spam, including paid links, for a long time - this is the division of Google that Matt Cutts heads. Is the existing system perfect? Of course not. What do you think Cutts' blog and request for reports is all about? They are trying to improve it - that's what Cutts said. Did you even read that blog post? But is has been getting better by the month for a long time now. You can still buy a link and get away with it if you wish... for a while. There are many black hat strategies that will work for a while... until Google catches you or a competitor reports you.

2. Google isn't going to tell you that, are they? But their ability to detect paid links has been demonstrated more than once and it is almost uncanny.

Nonsense. Read it again. More carefully this time. And by the way, it was posted in response to a question: "How is somneone supposed to get links if they can't buy them?" And the answer is that there are many ways.

I have never paid for a link in my life.

minstrel, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  14. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    egdcltd, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Here's another one I just came across this minute:

How not to build links

I won't say I endorse everything said in that blog entry but probably worth a look...

16. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks for both links Minstel.
    How not to build links
    66 Ways to Build Links in 2007
    I will be reading through both of them to see if I can make any improvement in my link building for my sites.

lpstong, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  17. rooketmedia

rooketmedia Banned

Best Answers:
    This is exactly what I was thinking. If their concern is paid text links then just remove the PR from the toolbar and keep it hidden, just like they hide backlinks, it will only be used internally. Externally it doesn't provide any highly needed service for toolbar users, except it serves as the way users measure other people websites according to Google PR.

That's why I think this is more of an evil attempt to control the activity on the internet. I think Google will have no problem if everyone used Adwords for their link building strategy.

This is pure evil, its like waving a shiny bright object in front of an infant but tell them not to touch it or grab for it. Why show the results of PR if you don't want anyone to monetize from it, in that case its useless and we can do without it!

I vote to completely remove PR from the toolbar!

rooketmedia, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  18. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I can really see that all those people paying for links currently are going to stop spending money on advertising. More than likely, they'll spend it somewhere else instead. What solution springs to mind? AdWords, of course.

egdcltd, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  19. hamidof

hamidof Peon

Best Answers:
    Google wants to be the best, that's why the do all this, they are not evil, they can, they do it:) It's simple.

hamidof, Apr 29, 2007 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    1. if they are spending money on links for advertising, nothing Google is doing now, has done, or will do will affect that... they will still get the full advertising value of any links or banners

2. switching to AdWords won't help them if what they are trying to do is purchase PageRank... AdWords links and banners don't increase PR