1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Marketing/Finance/Data Questions? Ask Here

Discussion in 'General Business' started by praesto, Feb 28, 2014.

Do you have questions regarding any of the following three functions of business? Ask them here from an experienced professional.

I have 4 years of professional experience in the marketing industry, 2 years in the finance industry, and 5 years in the data analysis industry.

My education has been a bachelors in finance, a bachelors in marketing, and a Masters in business adminsitration.

I am willing to offer free small business consulting, and answer any questions that may bother you here. Also if you would like a different perspective on an answer you already have, feel free to ask!

praesto, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, sounds good. Here is a marketing question for you:

Network cables (Ethernet copper and fiber wiring) are a staple of IT departments and it is these departments that are my target. I have been a successful purveyor of cables to consumers (20,000+ customer on eBay) but we are focused on U.S. corporate buyers. By the way, the cost of shipping generally prohibits buyers from other countries. We offer high quality and low cost cables. 100% moneyback guarantee, certified to meet all specifications, etc.

The challenge is that these buyers do not really buy cables "on spec" or in anticipation of some future need because they would not know the length or quantity of the cables they might need. Cables are also a tiny, tiny, tiny piece of any project budget that they are buying for when you consider the cost of the new equipment that they are connecting to. So, it is not important to the buyer, for the most part, until s/he needs them and even if they were contacted by a cable vendor by telephone a month or two ago, they will not remember this contact.

This would then lead one towards SEO and SEM as it is very likely that the IT Buyer will either go to his past vendor or if s/he is looking for a new vendor, will go to Google and do a search. The problem for a small cable company is that both SEO and SEM are highly competitive (i.e. too expensive) for us to compete.

I have done telepmarketing, direct mail postcards, email campaigns, SEO, SEM, banner advertising and none of them really had a reasonable ROI. I would be very interested to hear new ideas and approaches.

jrbiz, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  3. praesto

praesto Active Member

Best Answers:
    The first thing I would say to look into is partnering up with a few server, IT, and computer companies in your target market. Offer them a special rate for buying in bulk as those mentioned above are large users of your product. This along with your product brand will help you enter the US market. Make sure your rates are competitive and find a way to work with shippers.

praesto, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply. I did target the resellers/systems integrators that install and manage networking equipment for companies. Unfortuantely, they share the same buying characteristics as the IT managers that I described above. Server/computer companies typically sell through distribution or through resellers and do not get involved with the nitty gritty aspects of installation (which is where cables come in.)

jrbiz, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  5. Shezi

Shezi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What is difference between finance & marketing???

Shezi, Apr 8, 2014 IP