1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Marketing a Tutorial Site

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Darkhodge, Apr 15, 2007.

Hey,

I've always been rubbish at marketing sites so was just wondering if you guys could give me inputs on how to market a tutorial site like this: 911Tutorials

Any comments would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Hodge :D

Darkhodge, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  2. SeanMck

SeanMck Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to own a tutorial site like yours except just for coding tutorials. The way I got my website started is I went around to websites that wrote there own tutorials and I e-mailed the admin - told them about the site and that they can submit there tutorials. I got quite a few e-mails back. Make sure that your e-mail is personalized for each site. This can take quite a while and a lot of writing, but its worth it.

I also see that your site has 14 tutorials on it, who wants to visit a site with 14 indexed tutorials. Not even unique fresh tutorials either. No one will visit your site to view tutorials, so you will get no traffic, but to get traffic people need to submit tutorials to your site. You see the never ending circle of problems? This is where you can make a break in the loop, go around to sites and add tutorials from other websites to your own website.

It's just like in a way that a forum admin will post on his own forums to get conversations started.

Once you start to get to 250 + tutorials people will have a wider range of tutorials to choose from, and with all the different tutorials you have you will attract a wider audience range, and get more traffic so then more tutorial sites will submit there new tutorials to your site.

I hope this helped you!

SeanMck, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  3. noxcel

noxcel Peon

Best Answers:
    You website does not load for me.

noxcel, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  4. M@ko

M@ko Banned

Best Answers:
    Okay, first submit your tutorials to Pixel2Life.com and Good-Tutorials.com!

Then the traffic should come in automatically and I would also advertise your website on sites your tutorials are for, for example Graphics Forums, for your Photoshop Tutorials!

M@ko, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  5. designcode

designcode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have been in this field for more than one year. I am telling, drop the idea. Pixel2Life, Good Tutorials and Tutorialized have eaten the competition. Its really hard to promote a tutorial indexer.

Apart from this, CPM and CTR is also pathetic on Tut sites. But if you have decided to start a tutorial site drop me a PM, I will try to help you a bit in promoting site.

designcode, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  6. Darkhodge

Darkhodge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that those tutorial sites are dominating this niche. But saying that I've spent some time developing this site (although I still have a long way to go before finishing) so want to give it a go. Seems like a bit of a waste if I just drop the idea - although I suppose I could sell the script itself...

But yeah I would like to give it a go for a while and see how it goes - what suggestions would you give on promoting it?

And out of curiosity what's your tutorial site? :)

Darkhodge, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  7. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    A tutorial directory site is harder to promote.. since its being used to promote other people's tutorial sites. Try looking for tutorial sites and proposing to place their tutorial in your directory.. or a link exchange w/ a popular one.

Promoting in webmaster/graphics designer related sites is also ideal.

8everything, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  8. designcode

Best Answers:
    Ok send emails to tutorial authors about your website. Write some good articles and tutorials on your website and submit them to other tutorial websites. I can send email to my authors if you like.

Also join affiliate list, top sites and exchange links with other tutorials website.
    Hope this helps.

9. Darkhodge

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips :)

Also if you could send emails to your authors that would be great! Would that be for a small fee or free? And if for a fee how much? :eek:

10. designcode

Best Answers:
    Fees is just a green REP :D My main source if revenue is my day time job and freelance work. All websites I own are just my hobby sites. Please PM me your site title and details and urls etc. I will send a newsletter as soon as I got time :).

Darkhodge likes this.
  11. bushib

bushib Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi there,

Can anyone please tell me a list of the tutorials websites that accept tutorials or websites.

Regards
    bushib

bushib, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  12. Darkhodge

Best Answers:
    I think this post sort of sums it up nicely:

Also I'm sorry but I didn't approve your submission bushib. You should submit individual tutorials, and not just a whole site.

Feel free to submit again :)