1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

March 28: BL update possible PR update?

Discussion in 'Google' started by bobmutch, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I have been watching this site www hostdime .com go from PR 1 to 7 several times daily in the last 2 weeks :confused:

Homer, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  2. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I still have no change, for none of my websites.

Showing only erratic (january + february + march) previous IBL's.

None new.

Cristian Mezei, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  3. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know what all you guys are talking about. I'm not seeing any changes of anything anywhere on any of my sites. BLs and PR are all just as they've been for about a month. I was hoping to see at least a BL update by today, but I guess it's just more waiting.

nfzgrld, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  4. MtyBaldOne

MtyBaldOne Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen my homepage BL's drop back to January's count. However, one of my well ranked sub URL's as jumped from 9 links to 52 while droping six places in rank.
    I hope all of my work the last two months has not been discredited.

MtyBaldOne, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  5. mrdjkcool

mrdjkcool Guest

Best Answers:
    Some interesting idea Bob.

I agree that PR is still valuable but Im just not convinced that what we are actually SEEING is valuable.

Just my opinion!

mrdjkcool, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  6. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    Cristian Mezei, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  7. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    mrdjkcool: I am convinced that what we are seeing is not valuable unless you are selling text link ads and you have high toolbar PR. But I am convinced that what the toolbar PR represents is still valuable i.e. real PR still counts in the ranking algo and the inbound links count in the ranking algo also.

bobmutch, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  8. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Bobmuch: I have read this thread and it seems your knowledge is vast in the area os PR and SEO. I am by no means a professional in this area, but I do dable quite a bit with my own sites.

I have notice that the margin for tactics and techniques designed to boost (optimize) PR or serps is getting quite slim with Google. Have you seen this thread? http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=12518&highlight=google+patent Owlcraft sums it up pretty nicely http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=132997&postcount=12

Don't misunderstand me...I respect your line of business, but it is no secret that Google is not passionate about the entire SEO business...just wondered your thoughts around this while we are waiting for this damn update ;)

Homer, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  9. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, something is going on. My current BL count is 84. The last one was 50, and before that it was 1. The past month the usual suspect 6 DCs would fluctuate all over the place an on any given day they could return any one of those three numbers. Right now, not only those 6, but 4 additional DCs are listing 1 as my current BL count. Not a good trend, I must say!

nfzgrld, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  10. topsites

topsites Guest

Best Answers:
    All I see from these folk is referral spam. So much, in fact, the thought of reporting them for the practice just crossed my mind.

And these too:
    missrosepetals dotcom Hits April: 467
    tvshowsondvd dotorg Hits April: 464
    shoes-boots dotnet
    There's more, it's all the same people, I get so tired of this. And yeah I'd like to see MY backlink, is referral spamming how these places get high PR? And if it isn't referral spam, then how is the traffic coming my way when there is no backlink?
    I know ... I'm wasting my time.

Because my site's PR isn't all that yet Google sends like 300 visitors/day. So I leave Google the f*k alone, they seem to do their job without my help just dandy.
    Way I figure things, PR is just another over-rated feature, much like Alexa rankings, it really don't mean squid and all you gotta do is use their toolbar and it boosts your site anyway... Who would think, the owners of the most popular engine on the face of earth hadn't thought of that one :)
    Now I've had some of the best rankings and some of the worst, and neither one makes any difference on my statistics, nor does it make a difference on how my pages rank for keyphrased searches. Guess it depends mostly if you're only concerned with bot traffic ...
    * shrug *

Crazy world of se experts, why don't they leave the engines to do their job?
    Don't understand this war.

topsites, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  11. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    This is just your opinion.

You could also say, why doesn't anyone leave the damn apples grow in the wild ? (because they are grown artificially in serums)

Or the heck to people kill other people ? Why don't they leave them to die old ?

All things in this world have a purpose and reason. :)

Cristian Mezei, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  12. topsites

topsites Guest

Best Answers:
    I suppose to each his own, but I find working on the site so my visitors can benefit while completely disregarding the engines and giving a crap whether it ranks or not is infinitely more rewarding in the end. Who cares if a million sites link to you if none of those sites can send you even one click? With my site, 1,000 solid referrers run circles around sites with 10,000 times my linkpop and Alexa ranking - It's not the number of links, it's who can send you some clicks! Because the hell with linkpop, that's just like having number 1 rankings for searchterms nobody ever uses, or great PR/AR for sites nobody ever visits. So, do we concentrate on PR/AR, or do we concentrate on making our sites better? Which do you think works best?
    As for me, I concentrate on adding content and making the site better, always upgrade, improve, and constantly work on the site. You can add meta-tags if you're bored, but you don't need them (Yahoo doesn't have them, but then Microsoft does ... Either way, both get insane traffic).
    If you read Google's pages about promotion, they basically will tell you the same thing.
    Laters

topsites, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  13. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    Starting from today , 15.21 i am noticing PR and IBL changes for my sites and for many many other websites.

IT has started.

Cristian Mezei, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  14. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    any particular DCs ?

leeds1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  15. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I just checked 10 sites on all datacenters and no movement except 2 showed the old backlinks.

Expert - Can you post datacenters and sites so we can confirm this?

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  16. Jim bob 9 pants

Jim bob 9 pants Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing for me to, just huge swings in old backlink figures

Jim bob 9 pants, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  17. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    Yeah .. It was on this one : 216.239.37.147

But now it seems to be back again.

It showed me briefly i guess, an increase of 200% + ..

Now i checked it , and it's back again.

Google stuff i guess.

18. Cristian Mezei

Best Answers:
    But look at www . matco .ro for example...

THis one is changing :)

19. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    there is somethin odd going on. If you checkout www.dmoz.com with the various datacenters. Backlinks vary between 381000 and 61100, PR varying between 8 & 9.
    I'm not saying that there's an update going on or anything like that, but there is something weird going on. BL's varying between 2 values OK that's understandable, but 3 completely different levels - that's weird.

jlawrence, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  20. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to ask expertu, how on earth have you got a PR5 with only 17 BL's (www matco ro) ??

jlawrence, Apr 6, 2005 IP