1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mapped subdomains and robots.txt

Discussion in 'robots.txt' started by relkeel, Oct 7, 2010.

Sorry if this has been covered before but a quick search didn't yield any answers, though I'm not sure what the question should be!

I have a main domain > mydomain.com that has wordpress installed

My hosting allows me to have subdirectories, e.g., mydomain.com/sub1 and mydomain.com/sub2 - both with their own wordpress installations.

sub1 and sub2 are not at all related to mydomain.com but are instead mapped to myotherdomain1.com and myotherdomain2.com

My question is how do I construct the robots.txt file, as I can only have one version in the mydomain.com main directory, correct? Or can I have one in each subdirectory, that is myotherdomain1.com/robots.txt and myotherdomain2.com/robots.txt?

As they cover completely different subjects I don't want the search engines to crawl and index them as one site.

Hope that makes sense!
    Thanks for any advice.
    Nick

relkeel, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  2. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    robots.txt can only works for current host name

DoDo Me, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  3. manish.chauhan

manish.chauhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since Google considers directories and subdomains as seperate domains, you can have two different robots.txt files for your websites.

manish.chauhan, Oct 24, 2010 IP