1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

manually submitting link in directories worth or not ?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by indiasbull, Sep 21, 2014.

1. xink

xink Peon

Best Answers:
    some of the directories are connected with Yell and daily moirrors, So they have high ranked on google. so it helps you for long term.

xink, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  2. IvanI

IvanI Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory Submission has little to no effect these days, and you can even get a free kick from a penguin if you overdo it. You can write 1-2 good articles per day instead of wasting your time on submitting to hundreds directories. IMO, content is king in today's marketing and SEO, but the coronation takes time ;)

IvanI, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  3. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't even understand how BOTW still survives nowadays.

Mr.Dog, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  4. swaggerer

swaggerer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just throw my two cents in there I don't think they're worth it at all. Google basically ignores them now and you'll probably get very very little traffic off them via direct links.

And I agree with Mr.Dog. People STILL set them up, for some reason.

swaggerer, Nov 9, 2014 IP
  5. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    As others have pointed, out that's way too many. If you count niche and local directories, not knowing your own niche, you will be able to find a few hundred directories that may be worth your while, but the vast majority of "web directories" on the Internet are junk, and that includes many of those with high PageRank, which will drop to zero once Google gets around the penalizing them after you've paid your submission fees. You may never know it though, because Google isn't updated its public PageRank anymore.

Those who will lump all web directories in the same bucket and flush them all down the toilet are wrong, as there are reputable directories, and Google isn't necessarily going to ding you because you have listings in several of the bad ones, as evidenced by the fact that they don't even ding the bad ones themselves, more often than not. However, such a large number coming all at once could certainly send up some flags.

I wouldn't worry too much about being penalized for have your link in a bunch of crap directories. I can't say that it couldn't happen because Google sometimes does things that make little sense to me, but I would think that if it were as cut and dried as some people make it out to be, then there would be a market in reverse SEO, in that it would then make sense to submit your competitor's sites to all the crap directories you can find, and the crap directories could make a killing charging for removals. Somehow, I don't think Google wants to encourage this.

The largest danger is that you are wasting your time and your money, if this includes submission fees, submitting your site to directories that aren't going to do you any good. My advice is to forget PageRank. Google has already announced that they wouldn't be updating their public PageRank anymore. Of course, this doesn't mean that they won't because Google spokespeople have made similar statements before, and yet updated. Whether they update the public PageRank or not, they will be using something similar within their internal algorithms. Rather than chasing Google, it's best to concentrate on content.

Concentrate on making sure that your site has valuable, well-written, unique content. I have had niche topic sites do quite well on their most relevant keywords with no backlinks whatsoever so your SEO concerns are not tied completely to backlinks, although I am sure they play some part.

The greatest value in having a link in a reputable directory is that you will receive targeted traffic. Sure, the amount of traffic that you receive from all of the web directories put together will be dwarfed by the amount of traffic you'll get from Google, but a well organized and maintained web directory will send you targeted traffic, that being people who are actually interested in whatever it is that you have and are, consequently, more inclined to look beyond the first page and to buy whatever it is that you're selling. Of course, that will depend on what you're selling and how well you sell it.

When you think of it that way, any value that a directory will give you, as far as the SERPs are concerned, is a bonus. There is value there, as long as it's a good directory. Good directories are good SEO, the problem being that there are more crap directories than there are good ones. By the way, I'm not selling anything in my directory of directories (included in my signature), and I don't list directories that I consider to be total crap, which certainly doesn't mean that they are of equal value. Except for a few that I couldn't afford to submit my site to, and several others that are niche directories outside of my niche, I have submitted my own sites to each of the directories that I have listed there. Some of them didn't fare too well in my directory reviews, yet are still reputable directories that I am pleased to have my own sites listed in.

6. Roger Markins

Roger Markins Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    directory submission if its a small part of your backlink portfolio AND on high quality moderated directories are actually good especially if they are niche ones.
    That said you have to be really careful that they are very high quality ones

here are a few really good ones sorted on da that I personally use
    http://i.imgur.com/SukjAnj.png

Roger Markins, Nov 13, 2014 IP
  7. Barun Kumar

Barun Kumar Member

Best Answers:
    Directory submission is outdated and you don't need to submit your site to 100's of directory.It will not help in ranking these days.
    Just focus on a few directories online that will help in build website authority.
    First of all submit your site to dmoz which is an well established site online and pass lots of link juice.

Barun Kumar, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  8. mustaineoz

mustaineoz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Even DMOZ doesn't have that much effect anymore, don't waste your time with adding your site into web directories. There are lots of web directories and they don't even get indexed by google. Adding every day your site to 100 web directories will harm your site in the future

mustaineoz, Nov 19, 2014 IP
  9. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz was probably abandoned 5 years ago, at least... I was periodically checking some categories. No movement. No updates, full of broken links and sites down.

Don't waste your time with Dmoz.

Mr.Dog, Nov 20, 2014 IP
  10. Naina S

Naina S Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do only on PR2 and more website. Else you are doomed.

Naina S, Nov 20, 2014 IP
  11. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    Forget about PR, it's dead!

Mr.Dog, Nov 22, 2014 IP