1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Managed Wordpress vs. VPS Hosting.

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by XJuDaHX, Jan 7, 2015.

Hi all,
    I am looking into getting a managed WordPress hosting or VPS hosting. This is through godaddy.I need something that is good for security ad my last host allowed all my sites to get hacked. I have about 15 sites on WordPress and 15 HTML sites.
    Is managed wordpress better then VPS?
    Which on is faster?

Thanks for any comments.

XJuDaHX, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  2. CubicleDropout

CubicleDropout Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you consider yourself a sysadmin? If not, I would always go with a managed solution. VPS requires more hands on, pure technical, skill for server setup and maintenance. This can be a hassle that consume a lot of time, so I would consider it twice if I had to choose - and I actually have the skills to do it myself if I have to.

Also, do you know it was the actual host that caused your hack? No issues with your WP-setup? Timtumb for example? Dated plugin?

CubicleDropout, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Given GoDaddy's poor reputation for shared hosting, I do not know how well they would do with VPS. Some people think Wordpress-specialized hosting is helpful, others say it is unneeded. Which is faster is going to depend. If you go with a VPS, you can optimize it to your heart's content provided you have enough RAM and CPU available (go with at least 2 core VPS if you get one). If you are unfamiliar with managing a VPS, a managed VPS plan with cPanel would be good for you. But if you plan to optimize for speed, you would not use cPanel anyway.

It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Cheaper is not better if you want quality and performance.

billzo, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Depending on what deal you had with your former host, it's usually not right to blame the host for any "hacks" happening - most of the time it's not something the host did, it's something you, as a webmaster did. Didn't update, weak passwords, old plugins, bad code... it's normally not the task of the host to make sure your site is properly configured and secure - that's YOUR job. And if you don't have the knowledge of doing that, especially with a VPS which is pretty much all on you, I'd recommend a managed solution.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  5. XJuDaHX

XJuDaHX Peon

Best Answers:
    Godaddy has a VPS managed solution. My other host had no security at all. Yes my fault for not knowing. But they wanted to charge $800 to put it on all my sites. They didn't even the simple sitelock scan to say something is wrong.
    I can manage the server np. I always update my WordPress and I do not like Plugins. I create my own themes. Very minimal scripts. Same scripts I use in my HTML or PHP sites basically. Those were untouched. So it could have been just Wordpress itself. Really does not matter now..I just want another solution that will give me security. Have been thinking about VPS as it gives me more options.

Some have said to do a reseller account. So each domain has its own part? Never heard of that really....

I do want to say I am going to be putting more sites on the server. I do custom web design so need something that I can use for future as well. Managed Wordpress looks like a gimmick and not my best option..

How do you tell if a script is outdated?

XJuDaHX, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  6. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Other hosts have managed VPS as well. Shop around. I looked at GoDaddy's prices for VPS and I think you might find a better deal. I use A Small Orange as my host. At the very least check them out (managed VPS with cPanel). And as I said, if you get a VPS anywhere, try to get at least 2 core VPS with at least 2 GB or RAM. The more the better, it depends on your budget. It also depends on where you want your server located. I understand that GoDaddy has servers outside the USA. If you want to go with an unmanaged VPS provider, you could save even more. If you have the admin skills.

If you get a VPS with cPanel, you will have WHM (Web Host Manager). Using WHM, you can carve up your space and offer separate cPanel logins. So yes, each domain could have its own cPanel login if you want.

If you are going to use anything other than Wordpress, then a Wordpress-specialized hosting option is not the right choice for you.

What kind of script? If it uses the old mysql functions instead of mysqli functions or PDO, it is probably outdated.

billzo, Jan 8, 2015 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  7. obosor

obosor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have knowledge about server management go for unmanaged VPS. If you have no knowledge about management. Then you can purchase managed VPS from reputable provider.

obosor, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    How to tell? Well, look at the last updated date. Look at the code. Depending on what kind of coding is being used, you can usually see if the whole thing is outdated. Using non-parameterised queries for PHP, especially in cohort with mysql_ db-connection is a sure way to determine the script haven't been updated to latest standards. You can run stress-tests and security-tests on the server to see if there are any available exploits to SQL or other connections. Make sure to disable any executable PHP-code and such (eval and other commands) - etc. etc. etc.

Wordpress isn't very safe - it's recommended to actually install a few plugins to harden securit somewhat. Removing themes and such that is not being used (the built-in ones) is also a good idea - always remove (actually delete from server) stuff you don't use, don't just let it stay after deactivating it in the admin-interface.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  9. Shirllin

Shirllin Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the VPS of high configuration can help. Dedicated Server is more better. But it depends on your use. I use Gchao servers for a month, so far it works well.

Shirllin, Jan 8, 2015 IP
  10. Cecil Mah

Cecil Mah Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Managed WordPress hosting is cheapest as compare to VPS hosting. I think managed hosting is good, I have switched to a managed hosting from VPS hosting and i think managed hosting is best.

Cecil Mah, Feb 16, 2015 IP