1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Malicious Email help - hacker or investigator?

Discussion in 'Security' started by frisbena, Dec 3, 2012.

Hi AllI am receiving some vicious emails from an unknown person, they have also aquired (no idea how) a few pictures that are not intended for public viewing. They are attempting to blackmail me with these pictures by threatening to expose them into my work/hobby environement. Now obviously I could take this to the police however I would rather see if it was something I could deal with quietly. Each email I have received has come from a different IP address and host e.g. orange, O2, BT and a different location too. Which doesn't help in identifying the person involved as I don't even know where they are from. The email is a hotmail.co.uk address and they also have a linked account (to send a reset password to) which is also a hotmail.co.uk address however I only have a partial email address on that so again no help. The email address used to send the email is not registered on any social site again etc so again I am at a loss. I am now at a loss as to take this further so any help would be gratefully received. I would obviously like to start with putting an actual name to this person as I'm certain I will know them fairly well and if at all possible retreive the pictures from their computer. Thank you for your timex
    SEMrush

frisbena, Dec 3, 2012 IP
    SEMrush
  2. iceh

iceh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    See email headers, Then you will see three IP's, Originator , Sender and Receiver. Gotchya...

iceh, Dec 20, 2012 IP
  3. AdamUK89

AdamUK89 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

To be perfectly honest with you, this may not work, the person could of made copies of the pictures so trying to get them from the person who is black mailing you will not work, there isn't much you can do to stop them now someone has them. are they blackmailing you for money? or something else?

Regards,
    Adam

AdamUK89, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  4. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blackmail is a criminal offence, and if you have proof of the blackmail attempt the police will help you - doesn't matter how embarrasing the images may be they aren't going to care unless what they depict is illegal. People on the internet are not anonymous, but it takes police powers to ask/compel ISPs and others to release information. BT, Orange, and O2 will assist the police in a criminal investigation without too much trouble - don't know about hotmail.

Sounds like the person doing this is an idiot and has no idea the world of trouble they will cause for themselves. Don't try to be smart about it by attempting to find someone who can hack them, just go to the police and get it sorted. The "blackmailer" will get a fright when the police knock on their door in the early hours and remove their computers and mobile telephone for forensic analysis.

RonBrown, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  5. BergAudit

BergAudit Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't wona bump 30 days old topic but still i can help you out. PM me if you are still looking for help.

BergAudit, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  6. Eve1980

Eve1980 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are several free detail-finding web services you can use, most of them aren't good but there's a few that are worth looking into to find out details of email accounts etc.

Eve1980, Feb 8, 2013 IP