1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Making new library -- "Not a framework"

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by deathshadow, Mar 20, 2014.

1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm giving myself a few more days because my parkinsonism kicked in, I think it's the change in weather; I don't deal with warm weather well... That or one of the chemicals I've been working with triggered it.

That I had a serious project come through, opened up my "pretend I have a bicycle shop in the garage", and a fun project show up out of nowhere (Added a Sun Blade 2000 (2002 Anniversary edition, 8 gigs RAM, dual 1.2ghz UltraSparc III cu) to my collection of older systems, trying to get Solaris 10 or 11 to install on it) didn't help.

BTW, in case I haven't said it lately... FOR *** SAKE people WD-40 is NOT a lubricant, It's a cleaner! Getting sick of repacking wheel bearings on bikes and soaking chains in 5/30 auto oil just because people hose them down with WD-40 washing all the actual lubricant out of them. It does not belong on chains unless you're going to add a lube after, it does NOT belong anywhere NEAR your wheel hubs or bottom bracket!!! For those who don't know what a bottom bracket is, it's what the the cranks and pedals attach to -- well, unless you have an ashtabula (one piece) crank, in which case the BB packs around crank.

You wouldn't try to use windex, bleach or a grease cutting detergent as a lube, would you? Wait, don't answer that...I REALLY don't want to know what other people use as lube -- WAY too personal a question. :p

Ah, spring, all the friends and friends of friends who left their bikes to rot outside over the winter come to me to get them working again... hey, it's extra pocket change; not gonna say no. (though I really think the fumes got to me this time even though I was masked and had proper ventilation... should probably check the filter in my fume hood.)

So it got a weeks reprieve. Sad part is I've only got two pages left to finish out of 70; the FAQ and a 'good practices' guide. Also helps I'm more in the mood to deal with it as I hit a point of frustration with it; so instead of worrying about deep-sixing the whole shebang, I'm saying "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.". I might simply disable those sections (that I've already got links to in the template) and launch early without them. It's actually my big project for today to either finish the content, or figure out if I want to launch without the last few tidbits working.

If nothing else, sooner I get the site up, the sooner I can get an adwords account associated with it to see if advertisers are still a bunch of untrustworthy sleazeball scam artists; they probably are, but it's been ten years since I last had adverts on a website... long enough IMHO to violate my "if you don't use it, you shouldn't badmouth it" rule; though it's going to be tough to test since I run adblock plus. Guess I can disable it in Chrome. Also part of why comments are going to be Disqus based 'for now'. (the other being my custom next-gen CMS is nowhere near ready for prime-time, so "poor man's CMS" it is)

Anybody got any ideas for good questions for the FAQ? I've already had some from this thread and the PM's/e-mails I've received about it, but more ideas wouldn't hurt.

So far I've got:

1) Why is this a 'library' and not a 'framework'?

2) So what's wrong with frameworks?

3) Why the cryptic one-letter variables in the source that don't match the documentation?

4) Why extend elements? Isn't that unsafe?

5) Why use an underscore instead of a dollar sign for the library like everyone else?

6) Why is the site using Disqus?

7) Why isn't the advert working yet? (to be removed when it works)

Any other 'common' questions would help me fill out the site a bit more. I know I'm WAY too obsessive about content before launching a project's website; but really if you aren't... what are you doing building websites in the first place?

deathshadow, May 6, 2014 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    A simple "why should we use this" (instead of A, B or C) (and, by all means, please throw pure JS in there as well) might be good (people often want to read a quick, to-the-point explanation for why :)

PoPSiCLe, May 6, 2014 IP
  3. AbstractChaos

AbstractChaos Member

Best Answers:
    Like the idea of a "why should we use this".
    Also could include a bit about compatibility levels / limitations with some of the older more irritating browsers (no need to mention which in particular :p)

AbstractChaos, May 7, 2014 IP
  4. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    "why" is kind of what the home page and features part, aka "introduction" should be and kind-of is.

UPDATE, 1 minute to Charlie. I repeat, 1 minute to Charlie. The betting book is now closed.

deathshadow, May 7, 2014 IP
  5. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    ... and... Launch time.
    http://www.elementalsjs.com/

There it is live. Enjoy... When I wake up (heading to bed now) I'll work on promoting it more places (and maybe make a separate 'announcement' thread here)... and here's hoping adSense will have approved the site by then... You folks have been the most enthusiastic, so you get first in.

wiicker95 and AbstractChaos like this.
  6. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    ... and apologies for the broken download link on the page. Version 0.9.1 now released with the download link for the "script + demos" now working. Also added social media links (still playing with their placement) to the site... though good for a laugh, 'view source' the markup for those.

Little pissed that between FB Like, Google +1 and adverts, there is now 12 times as much scripting in kb on the page as there is anything else! Starting to remember why I don't put that **** on websites in the first place. You take those away, the entire rest of the SITE is 35k... put them on, and boom, say hello to an extra ~660k.

Though -- you folks might get a laugh out of how I rewrote the includes for the like buttons to use elementals... that way scripting off they're not pissing on the markup with stuff that -- to be frank, doesn't belong in the markup.

http://www.elementalsjs.com/theme/template.js

A little annoyed that _.make isn't letting me pass 'dataset' as an attribute -- so I had to declare them manually. I'll have to look into that.

Also mind-blown over the steaming pile of manure "HTML 5" version of the FB embed still inserts an iFrame, at which point just... kiss validation goodbye and use the bloody iFrame version of the code. Who thought that was a good idea?

Still probably going to see if I can make that work as a OBJECT instead of an iFrame, since IFRAME was also deprecated in 4 strict in favor of OBJECT.

7. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Looks like there's gonna be a 0.9.2 over the next few days. Blindly copying certain properties to elements has a flaw -- with things like .dataset and .style, if you send it an object full of properties, it either overwrites the original or is ignored outright... hence why I had to manually do the .dataset values in my like scripts. I'll add a case statement to trap both of those and copy their sub-properties manually.

Likewise I'm going to be tweaking the Array polyfills a bit... I'm hoping SOMEBODY on one of the forums I'm posting on or on the MDN mailing list will give me a REAL answer as to why their example polyfills seem to be doing things that have nothing to do with how .js works.

Only problem is, if I do need to tweak those up, it's gonna throw me over that 16k target -- at which point something else might have to go.

deathshadow, May 8, 2014 IP
    AbstractChaos likes this.