1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Making my directory : copying DMOZ structure is OK?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by EvcRo, May 20, 2006.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    orlady, your capacity for totally misunderstanding the point of any discussion never ceases to amaze me. No wonder they put you in charge of DMOZ. :rolleyes:

Why would you be asking anyone to honor a copyright which doesn't exist in the first place? And why would you be expecting anyone to credit DMOZ for taking something from another source and not crediting that source?

minstrel, May 27, 2006 IP
  2. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Copying the directory structure will make your site unlistable in ODP. Whether or not AOL lawyers will do anything about it is up to them (I've seen no evidence so far that they do anything about directories that copy our data with no attribution.)

What I was saying before is that if you took Usenet and modified it to fit your needs, you'd end up with a structure very similar to ODP, and editors wouldn't have a problem with it. In fact, editors couldn't have a problem with it, because it is exactly what we have done with the ODP structure.

ishfish, May 27, 2006 IP
    gworld likes this.
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Oh, no!!!! Not that!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    I never said that he (or you) cared about being listed in ODP. :)

ishfish, May 27, 2006 IP
  5. khakha

khakha Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, there are no problems in it

:)

khakha, May 27, 2006 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, Like I said before, I like your no BS style even if I don't agree with your opinions most of the time. :D

What you are actually saying is that bunch of editors have decided to punish others for an imaginary infringement of a non existence copyright which is true. ;)

gworld, May 27, 2006 IP
  7. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting thread! My question is why would anyone want to model their business (not just a directory) after another business that is failing?

BlueDevilMedia, May 27, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    :D

We were trying not to mention that part. Anyone want to buy the Enron or Worldcom trademarks cheap? :D :D

9. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    :D

It's my first directory and i dont feel like spending days building categories when i can spend some 3-4 hours and have 100k categories (reusable in any other directory i may want to start). Having a solid foundation its better than to build from 0. At least for me its better to delete the stupid parts from a big entity than to build 1 by 1 the whole structure.

EvcRo, May 27, 2006 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Okay, I know no one wants to be the first to ask the obvious question so I'll bite: After you delete the stupid parts from DMOZ, how much is left? :D :D :D :eek:

11. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I think I understand the point of this discussion very well. That is, the point of your participation in this discussion (and the participation by your buddy gworld) is to achieve personal ego gratification by hurling insults at ODP editors and otherwise working to tear down ODP -- an institution that AFAIK did you no harm.

OTOH, EvcRo started this thread with a legitimate and reasonable request for advice on the type of topic that Shawn created Digital Point forums to discuss. EvcRo's question should be the main "point" of this discussion, but unfortunately the Troll Twins have derailed it -- as you do with virtually every thread started by a DP user who has a question about the ODP. :mad:

orlady, May 27, 2006 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    OOPS. ! you missed the point again. EvcRo got the answer to his question and he was very happy with the answers that I and others provided as it can be seen here in his own post.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=940108&postcount=35

gworld, May 27, 2006 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No. Obviously you do not. Every one of your posts in this thread screams that fact loudly and clearly.

14. ssalinks

ssalinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Would you mind sharing the directory structure as MDB or XL file?

ssalinks, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  15. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Wow, this is amazing thread and I wish I knew about it when I made mine on related topic.
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1769908

There is not too much lefts for me to add to what others already said except explain to
    DMOZ Editors why they cannot claim content of DMOZ Index as their own.

You see your own submission form makes your copyright claim illegitimate. You are asking
    a person to submit Title and Description therefore you cannot copyright something that
    belongs to it creator.

If DMOZ want to have rights to Titles and Descriptions then people who run it should remove
    from Submission Form everything but URL field and then let Editors write their own Titles and
    Descriptions and maybe then if copyrights laws permit DMOZ can claim them as DMOZ own.

DMOZ reminds me some wannabe Webmaster who wants backlinks by any cost thus trying to bully
    others in submission. Asking public for attribution is just plain childish, stupid and needless.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Dec 5, 2010 IP