1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Making a new website

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Autumn04, Jun 21, 2017.

Hi
    We have an e commerce website and we sell pottery product online, however we made it 3 years ago and we have good traffic, we have decided to make another website because our website is kinda an old one and it dosn't have alot of options for an online shop, we don't wanna change our theme and add https and ... (I have done this before for one of my websites and we lost 80% of our visitores just because of changing theme and adding https) this time we just wanna let the old website remain the same and we make a new one, we are not gonna use the same content in the new one or even if we did we are gonna change the name of the product or key words and pics ..., what i'm tryin to say is we will leave the old site and not adding anything to it and start adding new products to our new website,
    Is this a good idea?
    Advice pls

Autumn04, Jun 21, 2017 IP
  2. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends. Visitors for your old site might be surprised it has new content, especially if it's not related to the old content. Even if you don't change the theme, if your old visitors are not the audience for your eCommerce, you're bound to lose most of them anyway. So not changing themes and other things isn't really going to help much. It would be good to first know if your old audience would relate to your products.

Milliardo, Jun 23, 2017 IP
  3. Autumn04

Autumn04 Peon

Best Answers:
    So you mean I don't change the theme and don't make a new one?

Autumn04, Jun 23, 2017 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would continue to add related content to the old site along with building a new site. But I think you're on the right track. You don't want to suddenly start adding unrelated content to an old site so it's better to create a new site for the new content/products and then market each site separately. That way you'll keep your current customers at the old site without confusing them or turning them away and you can market to new customers who are interested in what the new site offers.

JoeSpirit, Jun 23, 2017 IP
  5. WareBehr

WareBehr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Autumn, I would agree with JoeSpirit.

I've been in the same boat. Sometimes you just cannot generate content for older sites in your portfolio. In my experience, it is best to start a new site with a new style of content. I would run them both, or consider selling the older one for capital to use on the new project.

WareBehr, Jun 23, 2017 IP
  6. Autumn04

Autumn04 Peon

Best Answers:
    So it's better to make a new website?

Autumn04, Jun 23, 2017 IP
  7. Autumn04

Autumn04 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for your answer
    Y'know what i'm tryin' to do is: I'm gonna make a new website and i also wanna keep the old one online and in the new website i wanna put the new products and still keep the both websites online, i'm not gonna use the same contents or products in the new one, or if i did put some of them i'm gonna change the whole contents or title and keywords as well, we have only 170 products in the website but our products are more than 500, but we have got so many customers from our website and we have good traffic now but the problem is what i told above,
    Is this a good idea? I have heard google does not like 2 websites with the same subject but our products will be diffrent but in general the websites are about selling pottery products.

Autumn04, Jun 24, 2017 IP
  8. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    I get the feeling you're overthinking this Autumn. But what you say here makes sense to me. Since the products will be different I would keep the old site online and create the new site for the new products like you say.

The SEO Man gave you some great advice but it sounds like it's geared toward marketing your existing products to your new site. From what you say you don't plan on doing that. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

What I mean by overthinking is that if you dwell on making this activity perfect you'll waste a lot of time before you even get around to creating the new site. In my opinion, you should get that new site up and running. Give it enough time to start pulling in visitors and then see what the stats look like. If your new products will be different as you say, then you should be able to differentiate the two site's subjects by product types.

JoeSpirit, Jun 24, 2017 IP
  9. Autumn04

Autumn04 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks Joe
    So you're saying i should make the new site? is it a good idea?

Autumn04, Jun 24, 2017 IP
  10. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Since the products that you want to add to your marketing arsenal are different than the ones you sell on your existing site my opinion is that yes - create a new site for those different products. Then track your stats and let them guide you through making any needed changes.

JoeSpirit, Jun 25, 2017 IP
  11. Autumn04

Autumn04 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thnaks Joe and Wairbehr
    I'm gonna lunch the new website with new products in it amd see how it goes.

Autumn04, Jun 29, 2017 IP
  12. smilingbaby

smilingbaby Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not understand why you have lost all your traffic the first time. You should just find a good developer, who would bring your site properly to https and change the design

smilingbaby, Jun 29, 2017 IP
  13. Autumn04

Autumn04 Peon

Best Answers:
    I dunno, i know it can be done but i don't wanna take the risk of changing theme,thats why i wanna keep it the same and make a new one too.

Autumn04, Jun 29, 2017 IP
  14. smilingbaby

smilingbaby Peon

Best Answers:
    It would be cool to hear the result of your work.

smilingbaby, Jul 3, 2017 IP
  15. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would not create a new website just to sell related products; starting
    a brand new site has its cons, and it will be in google sandbox for a min
    of six months, not only that, when you run more then one site, then you
    end up spiting up your resources. You have also implied that you would stop updating the old site? that is a bad idea also, google comes around because
    you are updating your content, so if you stop updating your site over a
    period of time, then google will start visiting your site less, and less, and
    I have also seen rankings fall also. Google does not want sites that are not updated, and overtime, google will start to lowering your rankings on your
    old site if you stop updating your site.

this is just me, update your theme, https, and yes, you may lose traffic as google needs
    to update their index to your changes. You have one sole advantage & asset right now, you
    have an aged domain, and it does not mean you will lose your traffic forever, some sites have
    come back even stronger for updating their ancient site into something that is more modern with today....

I would not stop there, when updating, be proactive, do some SEO/Marketing on your site; if done right,
    then you will gain even more authority over time, and this may also help in getting even more traffic, and it
    is hard to say if you will lose that much trafffic durning your update, and this is why I suggest seo/marketing
    so you can prevent, or slow down any loss, and in the long run, it may help your site even more.....

If you have to ask yourself, do I just want to deal with all this now, or hide behind the problem, and let the
    old site remain, and start working on a new one. Are you running WP, if so, then this is nothing more then
    applying a new theme, and updating your url section to include https; If this is a custom ecomm site where
    the theme can not be updated easily, then I would save everything, scrap the site, setup the new platform,
    then re-setup all of your old content as it was before, and redirect old urls if you need too. If this is the route
    you would have to go, then you may no doubt lose traffic until the site bounces back....

This is what I would do:

1: save everything.
    2: add modern theme.
    3: add https (if you use wp, just add https to the url, done)
    4: reset all old content on old domain, use 301 redirect if you need to redirect old urls to the new url structure on the old site (if there is no url change, then no worries)
    5: do SEO/Content/Marketing using a reliable SEO provider.
    6: add new content often....

Do you really want your aged domain to sit, and become inactive while you work on
    a new domain/site that will show very little activity over the next 6mo-1yr?

When updating, you always have to be prepared to take some losses, google is
    simply unpredictable, and choose your new theme very carefully; a bad theme can have
    a negative effect on ROI, and I have seen people change their theme to crash
    and burn status, then change to a theme that increased their ROI 300%
    (just do some research)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    dscurlock, Jul 3, 2017 IP
  16. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    What exactly do you mean by "add https (if you use wp, just add https to the url, done)"?

JoeSpirit, Jul 4, 2017 IP
  17. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Websites or pages with https:// in their address are usually using an SSL certificate which protects the information of their customers from hackers.

gregdavidson, Jul 4, 2017 IP
  18. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    lets assume you are using wordpress, right?
    by default, the url in WP would be httpx://mydomain.com
    so you change the url section under settings...
    httpsx://www.mydomain.com
    (without the "x")

Before you change your url too https, then
    obviously you would need to install SSL certificate first...
    any decent host will offer free SSL these days....
    (look in your cPanel or consult host for more info.)

You can look it up, but google is going to favor mobile/https
    before it will favor other sites, and there is no reason not to
    have a responsive ready site, and setting up https is easy, so
    there are no excuses or reasons not to install SSL (even if
    you do not have any type of shopping site...)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    dscurlock, Jul 4, 2017 IP
  19. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It sounds like you want to reinvent the wheel. Since you have a site that works for you I don't see why you can't SLOWLY upgrade it so that you do not lose your customer base. Small changes here and there over a period of time will seldom cause your customers to leave.

Making major changes, like running two similar sites, may spread your resources too thin to where you may not be able to successfully make both work. Further, no matter what you do, you will have some overlap of customers being confused by using two different sites for similar products from the same merchant. Confused customers leave and do not come back.

mmerlinn, Jul 4, 2017 IP
  20. dscurlock

Best Answers:
    Running more then one site is not really ideal (unless it is really successful) I know this does not apply to the OP, but some people are so desperate
    that they have spent $1000s of dollars buying multiple sites; On one case study that I read, this one affiliate purchased 10 different sites @ $1,000
    a piece, so that is $10,000 he invested, and within a year he ended up selling off his sites. This affiliate did not understand the amount of resources
    he would have to put into the sites in order to maintain them, and keep them growing, not a big deal if you have a trust team you can rely on, and
    it really pitches a nerve when people buy these HPD sites @ $1000+/pop, and most HPD sites simply fail due to poor quality, lack of marketing, etc...

and what you said is correct, having 2 sites with similar, over lapping content will simply confuse buyers/visitors, not only that, rather then
    processing orders from one site, sooner or later, it will be process orders from two sites, and there is nothing wrong with that if the subject/topic
    was completely different and not related to the first site, anyways, I would not split/spin this off into another site; I would simply update
    the main site because that is where the authority is, and it would be dumb to let the authority/rank die in order to spin off into a new site....

dscurlock, Jul 4, 2017 IP