1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Making a forum and getting it out there.

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by blakefire, Jul 29, 2012.

This isnt my first rodeo but my question is, with SO many forums on SO many topics how do you make your own stand out among the rest? If I want to make a forum it's best to make it about something I enjoy but how to do make mine stand out among the rest? Thanks.
    ~Blake~

blakefire, Jul 29, 2012 IP
  2. mnmani

mnmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a forum is basically for discussing. if you enjoy sharing something then it is best to use a blog !!
    if you are confident about getting other people for participation then only you should start a forum

there are a lot of web sites, blogs and forums. it is always a challenge to make a unique thing among the rest ...

mnmani, Jul 29, 2012 IP
  3. outsourcethis

outsourcethis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Find a good subject and promote it everywhere you can, sig block, backlinks etc. have friends post and get the forum going. I have two forums I built back in 2004 and just worked and worked at posting. The subject matter was different. just my 2 cents

outsourcethis, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  4. rodneytrotter

rodneytrotter Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, not sure what you can do but here's a little help with things you must do to have a chance in hell at least...

1. Facebook fanpage - make it before you launch the forum itself, use flashy, semi-trolling marketing and pay some adds to get at least 5 to 10 thousand likes. Twitter is optional, depends on what the forum is about.

2. Forum marketing - advertise on other forums with similar content. As a community manager, I hate having to ban and delete that shit, but I have to be real about it. It's what will bring people who already use a forum (somewhere, somehow) so they are accustomed to the concept. If you get 5 to 10 real posters and make them regulars, it will fuel the debates and will have a tremendous positive effect on the development of the forum.

3. SEO - a universal need of today's Internet business of any sort. That's not really my department so I won't act smart on a subject I'm not all that well versed in.

4. Participate and animate - getting first comments and having people debate in the beginning is one of the hardest parts of the gig. Participate and comment, but do not make false profiles and debate with yourself, that sucks and when people figure it out, they'll just leave and then what? Remember, no one likes to be jerked around with and that's exactly what false profiles are. Besides, later on you'll be banning people from doing the same thing, so act accordingly.

Besides this, it depends on what your forum is about. I would say that it's also important to keep a neat, clean and profanity safe environment. Sure, people will start cussing sooner than writing normal replies so you'll see more action, but that kind of posting never works in the long run. Smart people will avoid your forum for it and dumb people can't be your contributing base of posters.

And on top of it all - a little luck. ;)

rodneytrotter, Aug 2, 2012 IP
  5. ddmmh

ddmmh Peon

Best Answers:
    Some good advice Rodneytrotter

ddmmh, Oct 21, 2012 IP