1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Make it onto the Explore page of Squidoo

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Reprobate, May 7, 2007.

1. jshaffstall

jshaffstall Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I guess I should withdraw my Roleplaying with Kids lens from consideration, since it was just chosen as Lens of the Day (and what a surprise that was!)

Jay

jshaffstall, May 15, 2007 IP
  2. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow, there's some excellent quality in these submissions. I'm sorting through it now.

I'm going to throw in a little twist ;) get back to you shortly.

Reprobate, May 15, 2007 IP
  3. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Too late!

And congratulations on the LOTD honour!

4. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay, I've gone through the lenses and I gotta say, there was some awesome quality there. In fact I've thrown the game plan and will be doing something entirely different.

Because the quality was so high I'll be adding 18 of the submitted lenses to the Explore page. And they'll be there for two weeks. Then I'll remove a whole bunch, but I'll explain how that will be decided upon in a moment.

8 didn't make the cut, and due to that, instead of me explaining why the 18 got through I figured it would be quicker if I explained why the 8 didn't make it through. Hopefully you all will be able to take on board my suggestions and change the bits that I've highlighted, if indeed there needs to be any changes made. Because some are fine, but there were other reasons they needed to be cut...

Please note: These are the ones that didn't make it.

http://www.squidoo.com/freeweddingtoasts/
    The only reason this got cut was because there was already Wedding Speeches and Toasts. Otherwise the info there is fine.

http://www.squidoo.com/watch-anime-online
    Had only three modules (not counting the Intro module) plus an empty New Amazon Plexo. Also the Guestbook had the default title. I also suggest that you add an image to your profile and fill in your bio.

http://www.squidoo.com/magazinesubscriptionservice
    The Guestbook has the default title "New Guestbook". There's no image in the Intro module. Which is a biggie. Because the Squidoo Editor-in-Chief would drag me naked over hot coals if I put one of those in the database.

http://www.squidoo.com/game-cameras
    Not sure if the Editor In Chief will like a lens on Deer Hunting on the Explore page. I'll be leaving myself open to backlash from active lensmasters who are vegans. Though it is an outstanding resource.

http://www.squidoo.com/adwords180-reviewed/
    Too commercial. Personally I don't have a problem with the lens, the way you've organised the information is good. If it were about understanding Adwords and it was one part of it, then it would have made it. Now I'm not saying change it, it's a worthy addition to anyones lens portfolio.

http://www.squidoo.com/internet_marketing_blog
    Had default titles on Plexo and Del.icio.us modules.

http://www.squidoo.com/homesforsalebyowner/
    http://www.squidoo.com/petclassifieds/
    These were fantastic, but I figured I better not have TOO many from one person. Just in case we ever do this again. I wouldn't want to encourage people to submit their entire lensmaster portfolio. But that's not saying 5 is going overboard. The only reason why I cut petclassified is because there was another pet lens (though unrelated in theme) and homesforsalebyowner because it's a victim of it's own success :D Being a LOTD winner I figured I'd give your other ones a fighting chance. If it hadn't been for those two obvious reasons I fear I would have spent too much time trying to decide which ones would be cut.

Now the ones that made it... as I said, I'll be putting them up for 2 weeks. You're all winners! I do plan on axing some though, but that final decision won't be mine. I'll leave it to the voting public.

I didn't plan on doing it this way, so the next bit is completely on the fly. But I think we can have some fun with it.

I've made this lens, it's called SQUIDOO IDOL! There is a poll. Vote for your favourite lens. Encourage your Squidoo associates and friends to vote for your lens. Depending on how the voting goes (if there's no equal ties on the cut off point) the six most popular will get to stay on the Explore page rotation list. The other 12... well they've had a damn good run haven't they :)

So vote, coerce your internet buddy cohorts to do the same (if they're not a Squidoo Lensmaster then get them to sign up with your referral link and you BOTH get $5).

Head on over to Squidoo Idol.

Gentlemen (and ladies) start your lenses!

5. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the nice comments regarding my lens. I appreciate it. :) I like your idea. When does the contest end?

Janet, May 15, 2007 IP
  6. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    30th May. Then I'll check the numbers and remove the 12 lenses with the lowest votes.

7. PurplePeeps

PurplePeeps Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback Reprobate - I will be sure to remedy that problem in the future - didn't know that was such a big deal, easily fixed though. Guess that's what I get for not reading the initial instructions thoroughly. :)

Maybe next time.

Thanks
    PurplePeeps

PurplePeeps, May 17, 2007 IP
  8. ScamHunter

ScamHunter Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to nominate my lens: Career Change: Steps to Change Your Career

I also have a question. I'm a bit puzzled in terms of the voting. Do you start a new list each month? Otherwise, aren't the lenses that have been on the list the longest always going to be at the top? I do like the concept though and found some cool lenses -- though I actually liked best one that had dropped off the list.

ScamHunter, May 26, 2007 IP
  9. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Nominations are closed.

It's a one off, but I'll see how this pans out and I may do it again on a month by month basis. So that means all the ones on there were up at the same time.

The reasons as to the ones that didn't make the voting list were mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'll annouce who the winners are before the month is over. And stay tuned if I run it again and you can nominate your lens for the next Squidoo Idol.

Reprobate, May 27, 2007 IP
  10. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    A tip... put an image in your Introduction Module.

And I've 'twittered' your lens.

Check it out: http://twitter.com/SQUIDTASTIC

I'll be posting more info soon about some official Squidoo 'twittering'.

In the meantime check out Do you Twitter?

Look out for a new thread soon about the Squidoo Twitter Group and how Squid HQ are actively promoting the splendid lenses of quality Lensmasters.

11. MilesB

MilesB Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MilesB, May 27, 2007 IP
  12. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Would you like your Squidoo lenses 'twittered'? Find out more in this thread.

13. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    OK- so how did everyone do traffic-wise as a result of this guy's tremendous amount of work in this promotion?

Claymation, May 28, 2007 IP
  14. Riatsala

Riatsala Peon

Best Answers:
    I kept an eye on the 7-day traffic figure and it seems to vary from about 15 to 30 higher than before. That may not sound much, but over a year that's an extra 1000 visitors! :)

Anyone else want to share their stats?

Riatsala

Riatsala, May 30, 2007 IP
  15. albemarle24

albemarle24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My traffic went up about the same, and I am thrilled to get that level of increase.

albemarle24, May 30, 2007 IP
  16. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    That's good to hear.

I'm going to take some screenshots soon to keep as 'evidence' as to the final results. And then write down the tallies. Announce the winners. Remove from the rotating list the 'losers' (no ones a loser, my intention was to give exposure, and it would seem that it was accomplished).

Keep a look out for a future Squidoo Idol. I will leave the lens like that for now as I make currently work on a few other Squid related projects.

I'll report back soon. Maybe in two hours. So there's still a couple of hours of voting opportunity there.

Reprobate, May 30, 2007 IP
  17. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    The votes are in.

I just need to organise them.

Reprobate, May 31, 2007 IP
  18. Reprobate

Reprobate Guest

Best Answers:
    Here are the results:

Unique & Fun Kids Themed Birthday Party Ideas & Supplies
    24.4%

Lost Pets
    22.2%

Merchant Accounts
    8.9%

Mountain Bike Racing
    6.7%

Computer Game Making For Kids
    6.7%

Milwaukee Brewers
    6.7%

Planet Earth
    4.4%

Chincoteague Island
    4.4%

Roleplaying with Kids
    4.4%

Schoolhouse Rock
    4.4%

Wedding Speeches and Toasts
    2.2%

Bill Dance Fishing Bloopers
    2.2%

The Music of Nick Drake
    2.2%

Why Did The Chicken Cross The Road?
    0%

Make Money Online with KidBlogger
    0%

Seattle Rain: Myth or Conspiracy?
    0%

Eulogy Speeches
    0%

Fun & Unique Childrens Novelty Pillows and Plush Toys
    0%

The Top 6 get to stay in the rotating list, the other 12... well they had 2 weeks of fun in the sun :)

Thanks for playing, it's been a pleasure, and keep a look out for my Twitter thread for more lens exposure.

Reprobate, May 31, 2007 IP
  19. jshaffstall

jshaffstall Peon

Best Answers:
    Woohoo! One of mine made it, and the one I most wanted to make it.

Thanks for doing the competition, it was a fun way to narrow down the field.

Jay

jshaffstall, May 31, 2007 IP
  20. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool, I got two lenses in! Thanks! : )

Congrats to all of the other winners.

Janet, May 31, 2007 IP