1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Major revamp. How well has it been done?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by sarahk, Nov 2, 2004.

I've helped manage a major revamp of http://www.nzpif.org.nz and we're still working with the developers to get it right. To help me get the right feedback to them I was wondering if any of you could take a look and give some feedback too.

thanks

Sarah

sarahk, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  2. Chiara

Chiara Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know what it looked like before, but I think design looks really nice. I like the colors.

Chiara, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  3. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Kapow, straight off the bat it's blue & green, very trustworthy, see generous white space, something to do with property, professional, good photos.

Not so sure about white on green, white on blue, yellow on blue. Just FYI I'm using FireFox 1.0 on a 1600x1200 .24 dot pitch CRT. Other than those, all other text fairly crisp.

Top nav bar looks like an afterthought or rush job (looks fine in IE6 but there are overlaps in FireFox)

Needs a bit more work for HTML validation and accessibility

Tidy job so far :)

Lever, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'd second what Lever has said.

A couple of other points also.

This point is just personal preference....
    Would there be any way to make those pages centre. I think it would just work better (I like the green nav stripe, However I think it could improve. Like lever said, it looks as though it was a seccond thaught.
    I'm no designer, so I'm not sure how, but I think that something could be done with them.

This point is vital (IMO)...
    You really should think about using CSS to structure the site.
    In terms of accessibility, it would vastly improve things (And don't forget, potentially increase your user base by 2% - The internet population that needs to have an accessible site).
    Tables are not nice (Just my opinion, but they personally say to me "Could do better").

Anyway, other than that - I like the site. Clean, simple to naviate, and looking good at 1280x1024 on by tft. :)

Good job so far :)

SEbasic, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  5. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sarah,

Without reading the "About this website" blurb I wouldn't have known at a glance what this site was about. It doesn't look like this site is for the general public so that might not matter.

With many of the links a little hour glass briefly appears. I have not seen that before and thought that was distracting.

The "Online Shop" caught me off guard. I was expecting it to be part of the same site.

I hope that was of help.

ResaleBroker, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.

I've put the message through to the developers about the CSS but it will remain table based as that gives the CMS the best chance of working well.

I'll see if I can work out what is behind the hour glass, now you mention it I've noticed that I get it too.

Sarah

sarahk, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  7. Ber|Art

Ber|Art Peon

Best Answers:
    The only thing that disturbs my is the navigation bar, WHY two lines of text? for example "Discussion Forum" why not just "Forum" ? The rest of the site is very nice!

Ber|Art, Nov 9, 2004 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Thanks Ber|Art

Quite right about dropping discussion, but for the business directory and the local associations we need the full text - so 2 lines it shall be.

We had a big session with the developers yesterday and were really pleased with how responsive they were to our suggestions.

Digitalpoint has shaped up to be our second biggest referrer (need to do something about that! ) with Google coming in at #1. It's being cached well and performing well in the SERPs which the old site never did!

Sarah

sarahk, Nov 9, 2004 IP