1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Major reasons for choosing between Ruby or PHP

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by BenSeagrave, Nov 5, 2012.

I've been learning PHP for a while now but nothing to serious, just enough to make simple things. Recently I've been seing more and more about Ruby which is making me think of switching over.

I have tried searching through google and different websites about the differences but couldn't find anything that I really understand. I may be wrong but what It seems like to me is Ruby is mainly used for bigger projects and PHP is used for smaller projects.

I'm looking for a language that will allow me to create things like blogs, admin systems, social network sites etc.

Could someone explain the main differences and say what you think is better for me, either ruby or php.

BenSeagrave, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  2. isha189

isha189 Member

Best Answers:
    It's a highly subjective question to ask. Having worked with both, I can give you my observations. Overall I would say that PHP is a more stable and mature environment than Ruby is. There are more available libraries, and they have had time to stabilise. It's also a lot easier to configure and deploy, because there are generally working packages for your platform, and because you don't have to make a lot of choices upfront.

isha189, Nov 6, 2012 IP
  3. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For Web Development I switched from Perl to PHP because Perl started to lack in the web development arena (15+ years of experience with Perl). I wouldn't switch from PHP to Ruby or Python simply because they ALL will accomplish the same task. It makes no sense to switch over. You know a little PHP...it's time to learn a lot more of it. Why start over from the beginning?

NetStar, Nov 24, 2012 IP
  4. juliobeaupre

juliobeaupre Peon

Best Answers:
    Ruby has closures and powerful meta programming facilities. PHP doesn't. Jruby also gives you a lot of things you don't have in PHP. For example, you can use any java library directly in Jruby, and you can deploy ruby (rails as well) on any typical java setup.

juliobeaupre, Nov 29, 2012 IP