1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Major Increase in Yahoo

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by ProductivePC, Apr 13, 2005.

Even after using the coop, for a couple of months I was stuck at #30 for an extremely competitive keyword phrase in Yahoo. I finally broke down and got into the yahoo directory and now we moved up to #8. That was the only difference on anything that I have done on the website. Just letting everyone know. It took about 1 week aftere getting approved.

We have been there for quite a while now. I guess getting into the directory does give you some pull. Leave it up to yahoo to force you into the directory if you want to see halfway decent results... at least for that particular keyword phrase.

ProductivePC, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  2. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How's the traffic increased? Have you been able to convert the traffic? The big question on paying to get into Yahoo results is, is the investment worth the return(ROI)? I don't even have to do any calculations to know that for my sites, it won't...

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  3. candysmith

candysmith trying not to be evil

Best Answers:
    How long did it take for them to add you to the directory?
    I have a HUGE problem with Yahoo. We applied 6 years ago when we first launched the site and were very green. The directory listing is in a totally inappropriate category, incorrect site name (all small letters, no caps - look awful in the search results) and incorrect description - also not applicable.

I've submitted the 'correction' form twice - no change.
    The other day I decided to pay the $299.00 to get it done proprly, and their system won't let me. It says we are already listed.

They obviously don't want my 299.00 - but what the ^&%$ can I do to get them to correct it??? I offered to pay when I submitted the correction - nut it seems they really don't want my money and my directory listing SUCKS! Totally useless.

Anyone have any suggestions ??

candysmith, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  4. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, we have made our money back if that is what you mean. We just had a $1000.00 order come in from Yahoo so I guess it was worth paying. I didn't want to pay because I actually read their TOS agreement and I didn't agree. Have you read that thing. What a bunch of BS! If it wasn't for the fact that we could not get past 30 and that I noticed 99% of the top 30 websites were being taken from the Yahoo directory I would have never went into it.

It took a lot to agree with that BS that they put out. All in all I guess it was worth it.

ProductivePC, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  5. elklabone

elklabone Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems reasonable to me that a listing in Yahoo's directory would help a site appear more "authoritative" for a given search term, since it's been manually reviewed by one of Yahoo's editors. So, I would believe that adding your site to Yahoo's directory would help (slightly) your rankings.

Worked on a site for a family member, and one of the things we did was bite the bullet and pay the $$$ to get in Yahoo directory.

Also, reworked the site considerably and have added done some other on and off-page SEO... Anway, they've moved from #3 to #1 for their keyword. Can I prove that the Yahoo directory listing helped? No. However, they've increased their traffic and are making money, so they're happy.

On the downside, getting in Yahoo will also screw up your page title, which is a real pain.

elklabone, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  6. inverse

inverse Banned

Best Answers:
    great well done

inverse, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  7. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the real pains is that I don't know how to optimize the yahoo directory description and title. It says to write them again. I did this weeks ago and there is still no change to it. I am glad that we don't have to pay them every time we want to make a change.

ProductivePC, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  8. bnaze13

bnaze13 Peon

Best Answers:
    i had a huge increase in yahoo as well... went from around 50 to number 2 basically overnight.... meanwhile i'm still nowhere to be found on google

bnaze13, Apr 19, 2005 IP