1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Major differences between most popular free forum software?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by weedguru, Jan 17, 2013.

I have been using phpbb for many years, along with an attached mysql database. It has seemed easy to use, update, modify, but I have never even pondered using any other free forum software. A DP member suggested that I adopt a different style for my forums, which has led me to find MyBB and also a myriad of other options (such as FluxBB/PunBB/Vanilla Forums) many of which seem a far from tricky conversion from my present setup, since they use php and are compatible with mysql databases.

Can anyone advise pros and cons of the major phpbb alternatives?

I'm interested in ease of conversion, potential to modify, ease of updates, aesthetic smoothness, solid sized community for support.

cheers in advance, for anyone who offers a few words.
    D

weedguru, Jan 17, 2013 IP
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unless the particular forum offers a conversion method from phpBB, there is no 'easy' conversion.

Modify how? The look? Most forums can be skinned. Potential to add plugins? Most of them do. Potential to modify the code? If you have to ask, don't.

They all update about the same way - download the update and run it.

That's one of the two biggies - and this one is a personal choice. What I think is aesthetically great you might think is aesthetic garbage.

That's the other biggie. phpBB, MyBB and SMF all have large communities. I don't know the others.

My personal preference is MyBB, but only because I've written plugins for it, so I don't have to spend time learning how if I need to write another one.

Rukbat, Jan 18, 2013 IP