1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Maintaining a Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Pen Tongue, Nov 29, 2004.

Do any of you maintain your own directory?

What are the pros and cons? Are the SE's taking note of directories that "spring" up and marking them as suspicious?

Just came across this tool....seems to easy. Copy content from the DMOZ and your own unique links...sounds questionable at best...

http://www.onlinemarketingtoday.com/software/link-management/

Thoughts?

Pen Tongue, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    After 3 months with my directory; I've learned 1 thing. All of those directories that say "no more free submissions - we are swamped and can only accept paid ones" are BS'ing you. LOL.

To my surprise, mine actually ranks okay for some minor terms (mosly xxx xxx add url or something) and I haven't really done much optimization on it, beyond the very basics.

lorien1973, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  3. Pen Tongue

Pen Tongue Grunt

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your post lorien1973.

The questions are running through my mind:

Does it get much traffic? Does it enhance an existing site or is it simply a directory on its own? If you build a directory into an existing site, is that simply a link farm?

Wondering...

Pen Tongue, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  4. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hi Pen Tongue,
    if you are serious about a directory,bear in mind that they are popping up about as often as new forum sites. If you want something that you can just sit back and watch it fill up,then you will be dissapointed...all you get is the major players who post to anything that moves...all the 'seo' and 'adsense super junkies'..and then it will dry up like a watering hole. And all the webs content will be still sitting out there waiting.
    It takes hours..weeks... months if you are going to get anywhere..and stay there.

Regards
    G*M

Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi PenTongue.

I assume that you are looking for a way to add a few thousand pages to an existing site quite quickly. ;)

well, you really aren't going to go wrong with this http://www.onlinemarketingtoday.com/software/link-management/

It was installed here about 2 weeks ago, and is working a real treat.

FYI - I Haven't noticed any any dup content penalty yet :)

SEbasic, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  6. Pen Tongue

Pen Tongue Grunt

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses.

Regarding many pages quickly - not certain that's my goal, really just sussing it out as there has been some interest in building a directory here. My thinking is the DMOZ copy job is not the way to go - its suggested on the http://www.onlinemarketingtoday.com site so I just threw it out there.

Great to get the endorsement of that tool though.

Thanks a lot.

- PT

Pen Tongue, Dec 2, 2004 IP