1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Main level domain keyword importance

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by BigEasy, Mar 22, 2005.

I was curious what people think about the importance of your main keywords in your main domain name? (i.e. "www.mykeyword1-xxx.com" as opposed to "www.whatever.com/mykeyword1")
    SEMrush
    Do you think the keywords in the main level are less important than the anchor text of backlinks, more important, equal?

So far my experience has been mixed and therefore I can't draw any solid conclusions.

BigEasy, Mar 22, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Main question is branding in this situation. But for pure SEO it does help.

There's still lots of people who link to others with the URL only (no specific anchor text). By having keywordphrase.com you will automatically still get anchor text credit for those. and with relevant words in them.

See my thread about New Site Suggestions for an example. I just launched that shop and it already ranks for the KWs in the domain on all SE's. Without any anchor text optimization.

But to put it into perspective... I'd say about a dozen good anchor text link can overshadow the domain name. I'd take 12 quality links over a KW relevant domain any day. BLs are still more important.

T0PS3O, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  3. BigEasy

BigEasy Peon

Best Answers:
    That is kind of what I figured but it's good to hear about other people's experiences. Thanks Tops.

BigEasy, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I do not have the experience to comment on advantage but just ready one persons algorithmic method of blocking referrer spam. He uses .htaccess and a rewrite statement to deal with domain names with two or more dashes.

Shannon

Smyrl, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  5. BigEasy

BigEasy Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you mean here, Smyrl?

BigEasy, Mar 25, 2005 IP