1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mac Compatability Testing

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by SEbasic, Dec 1, 2004.

Hi guys.

I had a look at some of my sites today using ie4 on a mac.
    For a few of them I was horrorfied.

Ages and ages ago I used an online tool that basically emulated a mac browser and publishes an image of the results online for you to have a look at.

I can't for the life of me remember where the site was.

Does anyone know of simiar tools that allow you to see what sites look like on various mac platforms (Safari, ie etc...)

Cheers

Oliver

SEbasic, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  2. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    Just about nobody uses IE4 any more... it will indeed be horrifying since it doesn't support classes. IE5 is more reasonable. There ARE free Mac emulators (PearPC? or was that a PC emulator for the Mac?) which will work well enough, or you can spend a hundred bucks or so on an old G3 that'll run OS9 and IE5. That's really the best way since you can also install OS X on it and test in IE (Classic), IE (X), and Safari, which most Mac users now use - and if it workson Safari, it'll almost certainly work on Konquerer for Linux. Fortunately Firefox is pretty good cross-platform so that'll cover the Netscapes and Mozillas (after v4 of course) for Mac, Linux, and Windows.

Beige G3s are really going cheap these days but they can indeed run OS X as long as you have 256 MB of RAM (PC-100!) and some patience.

davert, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the Forum davert. Thanks for your response.

Buying the G3 is certianly something that I will consider for the future. I am currently testing on a oooooollllldd iMac (And I really hate that machine), so upgrading - even for just testing purposes would be really handy.

For the time being though, I need some lkind of solution to the issues on my site.
    I checked on ie5 too and the page still looks terrible.

The only reason that I was aware of the fault in the first place was because a screen grab of the site appeared in a magazine article. (The grab was clearly taken on a Mac, because it didn't look great.)

Again, if anyone knows the site that basically takes a screen grab of the site, from a mac, It would be great if yopu could let me know.

I really have to organise my few thousand bookmarks, because it is pretty hard to find anything at the moment.
    Edit::::
    Just another quick question, does anyone know if ie5 on the mac has any issues when trying to align an image right (Not in css).

Cheers.

SEbasic, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  4. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    You can email me and I'll take screen grabs for you SEbasic. :)

IE on a Mac is no longer supported by Microsoft so I wish it'd just die. Safari and Firefox, among others, are taking over. Here is a good Safari Screenshot site.

Oh and don't spend a couple hundred dollars on an old G3. Get a brand new eMac for around $500 in the Apple Stores deals area.

TwisterMc, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheers Twister.
    Emergency sorted for now.
    That safari site was one of the ones I used to use. Cheers for the link...

They really need to upgrade their servers though, because I've been trying for a while and it is always busy.

SEbasic, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  6. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Great Intro davert - welcome to the world of DP

SEbasic - I can give you IE5 for mac if you want - personally I very rarely check against old browsers anymore - if they can't/won't upgrade do they really have the money to buy anything off your site?

Foxy, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Got ie5... But thanks for the offer.
    It's for my brother ;)

SEbasic, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  8. dyn4mik3

dyn4mik3 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use browsercam to test your site in a bunch of browsers - they let you test for free for a couple hours or so.

dyn4mik3, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Why be horrified? Who uses IE4 on a Mac? Hell, who uses IE on a Mac period? The first thing we do when a new Mac comes in is uninstall IE :)

Every dialup customer we have (well about 80% now) uses Firefox on their windoze PCzzzz. IE is just too dangerous for anyone to use.

Mia, Dec 12, 2004 IP