1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

M$ claims search today stinks

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by anthonycea, Jun 28, 2004.

Well your good old Uncle Bill wants to offer you some potato chips, sit down and read the article with Uncle Bill, he does really love you.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+prepares+for+search+assault/2100-1038_3-5249975.html?tag=html.alert

anthonycea, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  2. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Do You belive in the Easter Bunny to.

mushroom, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Never question Uncle Bill, he always has your best interest in mind, you know that SHROOM.

I just hope he gets the Spyware/Adware deal right, since it is out of control and Active X is to blame for most of it.

If Gates gets serious about privacy maybe folks will take M$ seriously, but if they do nothing and things get worse, yes a lot of folks will move over to MAC's.

Then you MAC preachers will have some believers to preach to. :p :cool:

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You need to start putting summaries of articles if you are going to have posts with pretty much nothing but a link. In the future, they will deleted otherwise.

digitalpoint, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Shawn congrats on 2,000 posts, did you zing me just to get there?

If I would have given a summary on that short article it would have been longer than the article itself, but I get your drift.

Did you read the other thread yet? (robot.txt?)

6. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty interesting read though- can't wait to start seeing summaries.

schlottke, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well Shawn happens to be the boss around here, so I guess I have to take to heart his direction.

Most of the folks around here say I write too much.

Shawn is right though, no keywords or understanding in the posts add zero value to the future of the forum since the spiders really are looking for keyword content.

After all, they need to flash those whisky and beer ads in front of us late at night :D

Thanks for rushing to my defense SB, throw me some rope so I can climb out of this hole :rolleyes:

Yeah, and the ads would be more relevant if everyone could spell, so that is why I keep asking for a spell checker, the forum would make more money.

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not looking for keywords or search engine content, but rather a reason to actually read the article.

9. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    MSN ranked 4th in a field of 5 in the Search Engine Test Results.

The actual scores were:

Google: 7.8
    Yahoo: 7.2
    AllTheWeb: 6.8
    MSN: 6.7
    AltaVista: 6.4

Will.Spencer, Jun 28, 2004 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes Will, but that is not the subject of the article in the open post, Gates said that in JULY, they will introduce a new format.

He went on to say that at the end of the year M$search would be using its own back end to power the engine.

You and everyone knows that they are still using Yahoo results, also everyone knows that they have been sending their spiders about for quite a while collecting pages.

But they are not using that data yet, why do they not start mixing it in?

Ask Google, they say everything must be scaleable across the entire search engine so maybe that is why they can not mix their stuff with Yahoo's feed.

11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    When he talks about search today stinking, I think subconsciously he is talking about MSN specifically. :)

Microsoft's search engine will never dominate... they will put it on Windows servers, so they are going to need 3x more servers than they would than if they ran it on a different platform (which is going to cause problems itself). But more importantly, Microsoft is driven by shareholders desire for the short-term dollar. So there probably will be options to buy your way to the top, or charge for spidering, or something else along those lines (at least by judging from their history).

That's not even taking into account that they need to actually come up with some relevancy algorithms as well (which is no easy task). But those relevancy algorithms become pointless when you can buy your way to the top anyway.

I actually hope they do well... competition is always good. But history tends to repeat itself, and if I were a betting man, my money would not be on Microsoft being able to become the #1 search engine.

12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Boy the anti M$ preachers never miss any opportunities now do they folks.

I guess they have to get back at us on the other side at every opportunity.

Shawn, I think M$ will use data centers powered by linux servers also, how do we know where they will put the load?

Maybe it is a giant R & D project like IBM's WebFountain search project, distributed computing is the future and so is outsourcing, search projects will help these companies learn more about both of those areas.

Data centers will become so important in the future, they are all rushing to build their own versions and flavors, sure M$ will use their own technology, can you think of a better way to do R & D.

Building a search engine is the best way to do it.

13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm not anti Microsoft at all. In fact, I said I hope they *do* succeed with it. I'm just saying I'm not ready to pronounce them the search engine king yet. :)

14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Hedging a bit Shawn, I already told you who the Search King will be in the future, IBM is quiet now, but when they are ready to get in the game, no one will be able to compete with them.

15. BIN PC

BIN PC Peon

Best Answers:
    it's the key word in these days search engine is powerful, they need to invest more money to continue updating their service, other way: i'm trying to find a way of aking my web site aviable here eGoZola -> https://egozola.com https://egozola.com

BIN PC, Mar 5, 2020 IP