1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Low CPC on Adsense, List of Advertisers to block to increase earnings.

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by adwordaffiliate, Jun 2, 2006.

Hi guys, I've read a few posts recently about people complaining about really low paying clicks. Here a list of advertisers that I block to try & help increase earnings.

I've got a 200 word list of advertisers I block in order to increase the earnings on a few of my sites. Now I understand that this list may not be useful to people who are not in the same niche as my sites are but I hope that it will help you get rid of some of those $0.01-0.09c clicks.

Since implementing this I've noticed my average click to be around $0.30+ but that's not to say that I've not been tweaking it a bit since then.

I hope that you guys can find this list useful. Let us all know how you get on & if it improves your earnings :)

adwordaffiliate, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  2. frisby

frisby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And what is your site niche on that this black list has effect?

frisby, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  3. adwordaffiliate

adwordaffiliate Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mainly Music Related, but it has had an overal effect on some of my sites in other niches also, the list is designed to remove the advertisers that bid on Hundreds of Thousands of irrelevant keywords for $0.01.

adwordaffiliate, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  4. spainexpat

spainexpat Peon

Best Answers:
    You know, I was having a bit of a problem with irrelevant advertisers too. I finally contacted Adsense who were of very little help, except they put me onto their adsense support forum.

It was there that someone showed me how to highlight the content on your pages that you want Adsense to apply their content filter for, so theoretically you can ensure that Adsense is only showing ads relevant to the content on your page that you specify.

In theory that's how it works. So far my problem still hasn't gone away, although since I applied the code sitewide my CPC went from about 6% to 8% and CPM from $19 - $25 ;)...

You can see the conversation here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/adsense-help-troubleshooting/browse_thread/thread/a82752f85722bd04/0811338a902db358?q=imaginary&rnum=1#0811338a902db358

spainexpat, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  5. emitind

emitind Peon

Best Answers:
    Has filtering those advertisers had a significant effect on your earnings? I thought the highest bidder was displayed anyway so filtering should only be used to competitive measures.

emitind, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  6. ghacks

ghacks Active Member

Best Answers:
    My earnings rose by about 50% after I added sites to the filter that no one on my blog would ever click on. Those were almost only blog related entries like make money with your blog and the like.

I always remove ads that my visitors will not click on, or most likely will not.

ghacks, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  7. Grokodile

Grokodile Peon

Best Answers:
    Smacking myself in the head as I learn something else... :eek:

Thanks!

Grokodile, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  8. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find myself removing about 5 ad's per day on site's that average 5000+ uniques, it's pretty ridiculous keeping up with all these crappy low paying .01 cent click ad's.

FuzzyLogic, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  9. DaVe™

DaVe™ Peon

Best Answers:
    and your gonny use up all your blocked ads shortly

DaVe™, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  10. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know it's been mentioned before, but http://adsblacklist.com/ is another great place for tools to find and filter low-paying ads - it allows you to find low paying sites in your niche pretty easily and filter them.

Telmari, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  11. emitind

emitind Peon

Best Answers:
    Can someone clarify... I thought the top-paying ads were always displayed, is this not true? So why blacklist potentially top-paying ads?

emitind, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  12. hdpt00

hdpt00 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am very disapointed many of my sites are not on that list :-(.

hdpt00, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  13. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a myth that someone from Google is putting out there. There are thousands of crappy $0.1 cent ads out there and Google has to put them somewhere. That's the reason your revenue seems to go up and down. I filter ads from my site and my revenue stays consistent between $30-$50 a day. Google reserves the high paying ads for high traffic sites with good ctr.

NewToAllThis, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  14. ghacks

ghacks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lets say you have a blog that focuses on sports. Most of your visitors will visit your site because they are looking for sports content. Now, what happens if you see ads like:

free blogs
    internet marketing center

A very low percentage would click on those ads, would not you agree ?

Now, what about ads that dispay sports related content but pay less and therefor are not shown on your pages ? Isn´t it likely that those recieve a better ctr than unrelated ads ?

ghacks, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  15. emitind

emitind Peon

Best Answers:
    Would it not make sense for Google to always but highest paying ads first, as they earn more money off them themselves...?

Possibly true for blogs, but when your ads are all relevant this doesn't really apply.

emitind, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  16. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really. If that were the case there would be no $0.1 cent ads. I'm sure those are not high paying ads. Google thinks every penny counts and they have no qualms about penny ads but they have to put them somewhere. The Premium publishers will reject those types of ads so where to dump them? On pages like yours and mine.

NewToAllThis, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  17. ghacks

ghacks Active Member

Best Answers:
    you should also keep in mind that everyone has a limited budget, if the high paying keyword runs out of money for that day it will be replaced by the next in line.. aso.. aso..

ghacks, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  18. Sara

Sara Guest

Best Answers:
    Section targeting - yay! Thanks spainexpat!!!

Sara, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  19. tytyguy

tytyguy Peon

Best Answers:
    how do you find out which ones are low paying?

tytyguy, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  20. spainexpat

spainexpat Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha, glad to help. In fact, since I made that change my CTR is about 8-10% (from 6%) and CPM is around $30-$50 (from about $20). What a difference eh? Although I've made some other select changes that might've affected it somewhat as well... but meh.

Glad it helped. A little rep wouldn't hurt ;)

spainexpat, Jun 3, 2006 IP