1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Love / Hate Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by TheKarmaOne, Jan 22, 2013.

I have win8 on my new laptop and there are certain things I like about it but also things I don't like so much. I didn't like it at all at first until I got used to it. Now, I prefer it. One of the only things I don't like about it is how sensitive the menus on the sides are and how easy it is to trip to full screen mode in your browser. Also, if you are in your browser listening to music and switch to desktop it's almost like it turns the browser/music off til you go back. I think there is a mode for desktop browser but it seems glitchy in win8. What are your thoughts?

TheKarmaOne, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  2. Mick2012

Mick2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would never buy it just by looking at the video. I think this is Microsoft's 2nd fail (first was Vista). If I were you I would have sticked with Windows 7.

Man that turning off music thing really does suck. If I were you I'd go back. I know how annoying that is...

Mick2012, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  3. TheKarmaOne

TheKarmaOne Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yea, the laptop came with Win8.

TheKarmaOne, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  4. Sashakta

Sashakta Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't use Windows 8, so sorry

Sashakta, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  5. dsmlacctv

dsmlacctv Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    windows 8 is great, specially is GUI features are great, more over security enhancement is much more than windows 7, as a developer i like it because it is secure and supports HTML 5 to develop applications

dsmlacctv, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  6. jonrod

jonrod Member

Best Answers:
    I won’t try Windows 8, I’ll stick to Windows 7. I’m actually planning to migrate to Mac soon.

jonrod, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  7. TheKarmaOne

TheKarmaOne Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yea, i'm so used to it now that I don't want to switch.

TheKarmaOne, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  8. Auxi

Auxi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think I skip Metro like I have skipped Vista before :). 98, XP and 7 was best users platforms. Vista was anti-user and Metro is... well, Microsoft employeers need to bring more their own (not copied) inovations or they stuck in 20th century.

Auxi, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  9. TayneC8

TayneC8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just bought a new laptop and it came with Windows 8. It's the worst decision I made when buying a new laptop, and I have downgraded since which costed me £100. Windows 8 should be for tablets only.

TayneC8, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  10. igor_k

igor_k Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I just bought it few months ago and I thought it was a nice idea, but after trying it I find less benefits than I was expecting. Moreover there is something wrong with the Office. It works so slow that I almost become mad before the moment it finally pastes something I need. For me it appeared to be a waste of money, but who knows…

igor_k, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  11. edu23more23

edu23more23 Member

Best Answers:
    I like it. I will not say I love it, I think that is too much, but I do like it and i will say I am currently quite satisfied with it

edu23more23, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  12. jezwebb

jezwebb Member

Best Answers:
    I was initially confused and frustrated when switching to Windows 8. It's different, and actually that's a good thing as it means there has been change. And for me, I think the changes are positive.

I upgraded as there were promised speed improvements, and I am seeing a much faster boot (even when you take into consideration the fact it boots "thin" and then continues to boot.) I also see very fast network transfer speeds, something that is really important for us using network storage.

So the learning curve involves the loss of the start button (shock horror!) the disappearance of the desktop, and the introduction of "apps" which are different to your "programs." The way to embrace the new way of working seems to be in some simple shortcut keys, assuming you are not using a touch display:

Windows Key - switch between the new Start screen and desktop.
    Windows key + Q - Apps list and search (replaces start button > Programs)
    Windows key and C - access new Charms bar - useful for accessing Settings or Windows I goes straight to settings

There are many more, but these get you going with Windows 8.

A few tiny niggles include the fact that the Photo and Music apps won't immediately index content on network storage. There is a fix - see add a network folder here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/add-folders-library

Bottom line - I'd recommend the upgrade. It's super cheap at the moment, and the stability, speed and features make it well worth while.

jezwebb, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  13. alex0

alex0 Peon

Best Answers:
    Windows 8 = (Windows 7 + new Home)

You can still get the old start menu in windows 8.

But one must agree that windows 8 has lot more. but too way long for the success.

alex0, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  14. shoaaib

shoaaib Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my experience Windows 8 is good not great... Still needs time to mature in terms of trouble free OS. This OS is great for touchscreen computers.

shoaaib, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  15. TheKarmaOne

TheKarmaOne Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yea, i'd really like to try it out on a touchscreen. i've had it so long now though that i'm used to even the things that bothered me about it before and i'm comfortable using it.

TheKarmaOne, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  16. romil_saxena

romil_saxena Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think so windows 8 still supports all the latest softwares.

romil_saxena, Feb 4, 2013 IP
  17. igor_k

igor_k Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    But still Windows 8 is not for ordinary computers but more for tabloid...

igor_k, Feb 4, 2013 IP
  18. Matei Gavriluta

Matei Gavriluta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is Microsoft's 2nd fail (first was Vista). If I were you I would have sticked with Windows 7.

Matei Gavriluta, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  19. PrimeWebDev

PrimeWebDev Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like Windows 8 but I prefer Windows 7 to actually get things done. The upgrade is very cheap.

PrimeWebDev, Mar 3, 2013 IP
  20. ayush.

ayush. Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have heard bad reviews about Windows 8 and heard it's made for tablets. But whatever, my hardcore gamer cousin recommends me to use it, well - I'll be using a Windows 8 demo and hopefully then I can tell.

ayush., Mar 3, 2013 IP