1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Lots of links, yet it is not indexed

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jorge, May 22, 2004.

Hi there,

First I want to say hello and thank you all for making a great forum and the owner for the amazing free tools!!
    I hope to give something back (if I can!) and that you pardon my bad english (it is not my mother tongue).

Now...
    I'm testing the SEO waters with a brand new page on a brand new geocities account. The page has been there for about 4 days.

I have made more than 100 links to it, yet it has not been indexed, and when you search "link:http://www.geocities.com/mysite/mypage.htm" (without the quotes of course) you get zero results.

Yet, when you search for "http://www.geocities.com/mysite/mypage.htm" (with quotes) you get 38 pages.
    So these are pages that have my URL as the link and as the anchor text, and 10+ of them have a toolbar PR of 4+.
    In fact, links at those pages to other sites are being counted, only those to my site are not.

Why is this?

jorge, May 22, 2004 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I do not think your site has been up long enough to be listed.

Good luck,

Shannon

Smyrl, May 22, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you looking to build traffic to your site or just to have it indexed? I don't think any site listed on geocities like that is ever going to rank well in the SERPs. If you want a site to rank well register a domain and find a hosting company to host it.

And if you don't care about the SERP placement then why do you care about whether it is indexed or not?

compar, May 22, 2004 IP
  4. jorge

jorge Peon

Best Answers:
    Compar and Smyrl, thank you for answers.

Compar, as I said, I'm testing the SEO waters, the first step is to be indexed, right? Then I'll try to climb up. It is on geocities because is not commercial, its just a test page.

Smyrl, would you say there is a lag time between the indexation of links and the indexation of the pages they are pointing to?

In another depts...

1. would a small daily change in my pages (say, the date) be enough to make google update it more frecuently? Or would I need a big daily change, like a news section?

2. is there a script I could use, or a URL I could scrap from my app to get the PR of a page?
    (I understand that PR is only one factor, and that only google knows the real algorithm used today, but I have seen some online tools like proogle making similar results to those of google toolbar, which is good enough for what I need)

----
    Updated:
    the page was just indexed in this last hour!
    An interesting thing: the cached page is a version I changed yesterday, so it seems there is a lag time between the time it indexes the page and leaves it on cache, and the time it shows the page on the results.

jorge, May 22, 2004 IP
  5. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    If you need free hosting and don't care about your domain name I offer free hosting at http://www.jrwrestling.com/hosting A lot of the sites that are using it get indexed quite quickly.

schlottke, May 22, 2004 IP
  6. jorge

jorge Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks shlottke, but does the domain has anything to do with indexation time?

jorge, May 22, 2004 IP
  7. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Opinions divide. Some have seen quite small changes counted as "fresh" material. But it behooves you to have substantive changes, even if minor, rather than artificial changes like the date or a few blank spaces.

I have some free packages that might be of use to you available at the URL in the sig line, http://seo-toys.com -- one can add several thousand daily-changing pages to your site, though if you are on geocities, I don't know if it would work for you. But another one, which I hope will be the first of many like it--tools to drop changing content into pages--is a little weather-report thing that you can set for any location.

This, mind, is only one part of the job, the part you can effect for yourself on your site; the other part of SEO is links--you need links from relevant sites, preferably sites with some mana (PR) to distribute.

Owlcroft, May 22, 2004 IP
  8. jorge

jorge Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks Owlcroft, I will try out your tools.
    About the geocities site, as I said, is just for test pourposes. My sites always have a domain and a server with ASP, ASP.NET, ColdFusion and PHP.

jorge, May 22, 2004 IP
  9. peden202

peden202 Peon

Best Answers:
    Submitting an index request is also a good idea

peden202, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  10. Aurelius25

Aurelius25 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's don't guarantee your site will be certainly indexed though you have many many backlinks because Google dislike with a site with countless backlinks.they will sandbox your site

Aurelius25, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  11. ayushgupta

ayushgupta Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you ping those links? It will than get indexed fast

ayushgupta, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  12. Souleclipse

Souleclipse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did you submit to directory? Do not spam useless backlink, get high pr backlink. If not you get sandboxed.
    Had to do it slowly. Instead you should get quality backlink like .Edu. A pr 0 .Edu is about pr 3 back link.

Souleclipse, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  13. dinnyhead

dinnyhead Peon

Best Answers:
    4 days is too soon to be indexed for definite. some sites are instant, others take days. work on content rather than just backlinking, it will help you in the long run.

dinnyhead, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  14. webdesign22

webdesign22 Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to give it more time to get indexed. Spread out SEO techniques, if you are just getting backlinks and you get them too quickly it won't look natural. Good luck!

webdesign22, Oct 23, 2011 IP