1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Losing Pages on Google

Discussion in 'SEO' started by Richard Walker, Apr 21, 2006.

The last few months I've seen my listings from about 20,000 to about 130 this week. I know I have more than 130 pages...so why is my site being taken off google

www.gadget-and-gizmos.co.uk

Cheers

Richard

Richard Walker, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  2. byoung

byoung Peon

Best Answers:
    have had that happen before. Your listings were probably very high as google was listing all the dynamic possible urls of your shop, ie add review for each of yours products, add to cart for each of your products. Then they start only counting some of the pages (unique ones). Not much you can do, other than maybe use google sitemaps to ensure that all the key pages you want indexed are indexed.

byoung, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  3. goScooby

goScooby Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately it seems to be happening to nearly everyone. See webmasterworld.com/forum30/33893-4-15.htm and http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=76676.

Hell, even wikipedia which states on their homepage that they have over one million articles only shows up as having 14,500 pages in Google. Obviously the Wikipedia articles are unique so whatever the issue is with Google seems to be more than just filtering out duplicate content.

goScooby, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  4. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It happened for me also, don't know why, perhaps google is cleaning their index to prepare for a huge crawl later on... we'll see that :rolleyes:

irka, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  5. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    For me it doesn't seem related to crawl frequency.

I have a site that is losing about 5% a day at the same time that Mozilla Gbot has averaged over 60k pages a day for the past two months.

Most of the pages or subdirectories that I actively acquire backlinks for are either ranking the same or have improved but I've lost about 70% of the complex secondary search referrals (the long-tail) which you would expect given a 70-80% drop in indexed pages.

classifieds, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  6. alstefani

alstefani Peon

Best Answers:
    Is happening to me to. I had about 19k pages and now about 200. My site is dynamically generated but I use URL_rewrite and content rotation, rss etc and I don't understand what is going on

alstefani, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  7. Lordo

Lordo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is happening to me too. And from my observations, I would say that byoung's analysis to the issue is correct. Google first adds all pages then it selected the unique ones with minimum content requirements.

Lordo, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  8. byoung

byoung Peon

Best Answers:
    thats exactly what happened with an online store i was working with about 6 months ago. However its probably in combination with new algorithms etc.

byoung, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  9. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I might say something stupid but may be we will not see a huge amount of results in the future on google just like MSN... When you type a search on MSN you just find what you need and you dont have the kind of results like 50 000 000 results. Basically a SERPS on MSN got between 10 to 2 millions results.

Google got a lots of results for any keywords you type! May be Google needs a lots of power to generate such results... So they are deleting pages in order to keep it low and relevant and better than MSN.

Just a thought of mine,

irka, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  10. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised this took so long to hit DP as a thread. It's real, it's happening, but we have seen all the sites we have monitored come back and come back fine. But like anything, it's subjective and results not guaranteed.

noppid, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  11. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    Nopid,

For some reason one of the mods moved this thread to website reviews - which is one of the reasons you don't see any topcis like this in the Google forum. If someone remotely mentions "their site" it gets move here.

I quit trying to discuss issues like this at DP and have been using WMW.

classifieds, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  12. Neilo

Neilo Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a vacation site and we have been losing pages and only as of today I see a few come back. It is so frustrating. Y and MSN are fine they take the pages, cash them and they get searched like they are suppose to. Google is another story

Neilo, Apr 23, 2006 IP