1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Losing Likes Due To Thread Deletions.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Spoiltdiva, Apr 26, 2013.

Once again a thread has been deleted, and once again I've lost a bunch of likes. That makes 5 this week alone. (a post of mine got deleted with 2 likes on another thread). The thread in question today was on General Chat and the topic was about smoking.
    I lost 3 likes, @Ryan_uk lost 4 likes, @Indyonline lost a bunch, @Princess Aiyanaa lost 1 etc. with this one thread being deleted today.
    Is this o.k. to staff, do you feel that when you need to delete a thread that it's fair to the rest of us who are going to lose likes as a result?

P.S. So far I've lost 11 likes in total with these deletions.

Solved! View solution.
    Spoiltdiva, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  2. kingofking

kingofking Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I personally think its fair because the mods/admin would have done their basic study and then deleted the thread; which means that either the thread is a "spammy" one or "of no use" or "started in a wrong section".

So, I think its better to stay away from such threads as it has the high risk of getting deleted. Also, I don't think there is a point in retaining the "likes" as the thread by itself was identified and deleted as it was a "unwanted" one.

kingofking, Apr 26, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk, Devtard and browntwn like this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @kingofking
    You made some good points and at least it's an even playing field as everyone loses the likes equally but....To members with lots of likes I suppose it's not too big a deal. But what about a new member who *finally* has the 3 likes to be established then loses 1 and has to start all over again? Is this fair to him/her?

4. kingofking

Best Answers:
    Members should not "relax" or "stop" posting once they get their most wanted "3" likes. They should keep going so that even if any of the threads gets deleted, they are not impacted.

If we try to satisfy all, we might end up satisfying none. So, some exceptions are there always :) (So, your scenario of members having "Exactly" 3 likes will be impacted)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  5. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does the message count drop for a person who posts within the thread when a thread is removed?

For example, I join in on a thread / discussion and post 3 times within that thread. Would my message count drop by 3 if the thread is removed?

TextServices, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  6. kingofking

Best Answers:
    I think yes! However, why do we need to be concerned about posts count?

7. OnlineSolutions

OnlineSolutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just have 3 likes. After trying many months finally I got 3 likes. It is so precious to me because I can start my work again to feed my family.
    Dear "Kingofking"; do you think after writing 10-15 articles per day, anyone can have enough time to take part in conversations here?

OnlineSolutions, Apr 26, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  8. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Yes the count does go down with deletions, and I believe she would receive some trophy points when her count got to 100, where she is at now. And if she were to lose and get below 100...she would lose the points too.

9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    These are threads that should probably be reported instead of being replied to.

Likes have no value and losing them is hardly something that should concern anyone but the few who it knocks from being established to not established. And for them it is a lesson to pick better threads to participate in.
    I think I looked at that thread quickly and I am pretty sure I recall seeing one of the first couple posters pointing out that is was just copied and pasted crap from somewhere on the web. That is a pretty good sign right there that the thread is a prime candidate to be deleted.

browntwn, Apr 26, 2013 IP
    Devtard likes this.
    I was asking to clarify because if by chance the message count for a person did not drop when a thread was removed, then the likes should not either.

The likes were received due to a reply made within a thread. They are not independant of the thread. If the thread was removed, then the likes earned as a result of that thread should be removed as well.

If the thread is reinstated, then the likes received should be as well.

I can understand the frustration. Other forum members judge others by stats they see under the username and profile. People work to build up a positive reputation, good stats. "Likes" are not always easy to obtain, so one wants to hold onto them when they receive them. However, there was a reason or reason(s) why a thread was removed from the forum and there's really no reason why those who participated in the thread should keep the message count, "likes", or best answers earned from that removed thread. Either avoid threads one thinks may have a chance of being removed or accept the fact that you may lose a "like" you earned within that thread.

Spoiltdiva likes this.
  11. browntwn

Best Answers:

And yet here you are participating in this conversation. As such, I will have to answer your question, that yes people do manage to find time to take part in conversations. Why you picked this one is a more curious question. :)

ryan_uk likes this.
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @TextServices
    Putting it the way you did, I cannot debate and must state that I agree. Thank you for essentially making it all a bit clearer for me.;)

13. browntwn

Best Answers:

You love giving out those "Best Answers" don't you? You know it is not mandatory. ;)

14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Wrong...it *is* "mandatory" to me if I feel that the answer is likely to be the best one on *MY* thread. And guess what...I'm going to keep giving them out on *MY* threads...especially if it gets on your nerves.;)

15. OnlineSolutions

OnlineSolutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't peak this thread. I just received an alert that someone I am following posted a new thread. So I just saw the thread's title and I thought I must reply here to save my back.
    The same way I have received the alert that you quoted my reply which made me curious and I am trying to illuminate your curiosity. Still curious?

OnlineSolutions, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @browntwn (browntroll) is just trying to flamebait everyone as usual. We all need to learn to just ignore him.;)

17. browntwn

Best Answers:

What is stopping you? Put me on ignore already. If anyone is trolling anyone here is you trolling me.

snakeair likes this.
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You've been reported *once again*.

19. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol! That's not always easy to do. There are times I find myself knowing damn well I shouldn't take the bait,(regardless of who the person is), but somehow I just can't fight the urge to respond. Kudos to those with strong will power! lol!

20. browntwn

Best Answers:

lol for what? Pointing out that you can actually ignore me if you don't like reading my posts. Pretty sure the result will be the same as every other time you have reported me.

RoguePyro and snakeair like this.