1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Loosing PageRank - what to do?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by ZanderXML, Jun 7, 2004.

I need advice ....

Let's say we have the page with 20 outbound links:
    1) 10 links to important pages within the site
    2) 10 links to content not indexed by Google (www.site_name.com/download/file.zip, rar, avi) disallowed in robots.txt by string "Dissallow: /download/"

What we should do for passing PageRank from page to page without loosing it. Site have PR6 home page and PR4 for pages that have link from home page!!!

Will <a href="http://www.site_name.com/" OnClick="window.open('http://www.site_name.com/download/file.zip', '', 'scrollbars=1,menubar=1,resizable=1,width=800,height=600'); return false;"> help to save PR?

Or Google don't count links to disallow area for links?

Best regards,
    Paul

ZanderXML, Jun 7, 2004 IP
  2. rfuess

rfuess Guest

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't count on links being ranked that aren't allowed by the robots.txt . . .
    Work on backlinks . . .

Monitor your backlinks, and perhaps do them a favor and submit their sites to google. This way google has a chance of giving you credit for your backlink . . .

rfuess, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    "losing pagerank, what to do?"

get more inbound links. that, and stop worrying about PR so much. inbound links and anchor text matter much more than your actual PR.

disgust, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Forget PR... Worry about Anchor Text...

PR is nice and gives a boost, but it's not the be all and end all...

SEbasic, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    But that's no fun. What would people have to be paraniod about any more? Logic isn't the issue here, it's the joy of paranioa that drive these PR obsessed types.

compar, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    BR is what counts! BankRank, or what's on ur accounts! And there is no correlation between BR and PR in my case.

T0PS3O, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  7. eCommando

eCommando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When my pr went up, my BR went up - a direct correlation for me. :D

eCommando, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  8. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    Ok, now how do I get my BR to 10 with or without a coresponding increase in my PR :)

I must agree though, that PR does not seem to be as important as it used to be...

:) Geir

Geir, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  9. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a relation between PR and SERP, it's just not a cause-and-effect one--they tend both to be effects of the same cause, backlinks strength. If you have heavy backlink strength, you should get both good SERPs and good PR, which is why people often think that it's the PR causing the SERPs, rather as the Egyptians thought the position of the stars in the sky "caused" the annual flooding of the Nile.

Without strong backlinks, you will have low PR, but in some instances--depending, among other things, on the competition in your niche--can occasionally still get good SERPs.

PR is not to be ignored, but is best seen as a diagnostic tool rather than an end in itself.

Owlcroft, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  10. Web Designer Leeds

Web Designer Leeds Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Nice Forum, this is my first post.

I developed a strange problem with a web site about six weeks ago that generated an internal server error when spidered by robots. A bit of a nightmare but it is fixed now. The problem was not visible when browsing normally so the web site was like this for about two weeks. The upshot is that I dropped from 60 number one spots to zero. After four weeks the site is now coming back with 12 number one spots.

Some of my internal pages like the site map had PR5 with home page rank at 5 just going up to 6.

My home page still shows PR5 but all my internal pages have gone back to zero. One day I picked up the home page for the site in the searches and when i click through it shows PR3. From my experience the click thru from searches shows PR differntly to a direct visit.

Has anyone experienced a similar scenario. Does anyone know what is likely to happen to the site? Could the two weeks offline (to search engines) cause long term problems?

Web Designer Leeds, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  11. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    I would expect not - they should be picked up again and included in the next PR update. What was causing the error specifically for the engines?

Mick

Arnica, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  12. Web Designer Leeds

Web Designer Leeds Guest

Best Answers:
    I developed the site to display currencies according to the users regional settings.

If you visited the site with a browser, resional settings were detected ok. If a spider visited, no regional setting were detected and this set off an error in the asp.net application. . Duh!

The site seems to be coming back now after a good three or four weeks.

Web Designer Leeds, Jun 30, 2004 IP