1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looksmart, Zeal Gone Bad?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by rubenmajor, May 2, 2005.

I recently attempted to submit my site to the Zeal/Looksmart Directories and received this response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting LookSmart.

LookSmart is in the process of eliminating our branching directory categories, and new listings are no longer being placed in directory categories. LookSmart categories will no longer appear on LookSmart or our partner sites in the near future. We have found that nearly all Web users use the search bar rather than follow category paths, and LookSmart is focusing on keyword-driven search rather than directory search.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our customer service team toll free at (877)512-LOOK (5665), and we will be happy to assist you. If you are calling from outside the United States, you can reach us locally at 011-415-348-7053. We are available Monday through Friday, 6am to 5pm, Pacific Time.

Regards,
    Leonard Kroenk
    The LookSmart Team

LookSmart: High performance keywords at a reasonable price.

What do you think? Isn't it sad? :(

rubenmajor, May 2, 2005 IP
  2. nullbit

nullbit Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you get that response via email?

It's nice that they collected your email address for marketing purposes, before informing you they were wasting your time. That would probably fall under misrepresentation.

nullbit, May 2, 2005 IP
  3. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    why not just put a message up? i bet they did "use" your email for other reasons.

web-rover, May 2, 2005 IP
  4. jeremyalyea

jeremyalyea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a bummer! The Zeal directory always generated tons of traffic for me in the past.

jeremyalyea, May 2, 2005 IP
  5. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats sucks, atleast they are doing something to advance.

City2, May 2, 2005 IP