1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking To Move Away From Hostgator. Any Suggestions

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Nima, Sep 2, 2013.

1. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep! Hostgator and ASO used to be really good companies. Within months of being bought out by EIG, they both just went completely to hell. Check out any decent web hosting forum that isn't loaded with shills and affiliates and you'll see the real reviews. They are astounding.

Here is a handy list of the EIG brands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

WSWD, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  2. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I ended up signing up with www.pair.com. I'll try them with one of my sites and see how it goes.

Nima, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  3. shahjahan-the-warrior

shahjahan-the-warrior Member

Best Answers:
    Good Luck Nima. All these small time companies are resellers with big names, won't do much help unless you have small sites.

shahjahan-the-warrior, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  4. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From my research Pair.com seems to be a pretty solid long term company. we'll see

Nima, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  5. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You don't know what you're talking about. Sure, there are some kiddie hosts out there that just resell from the larger companies, but most companies do not. You just have to do your research to see who resells and who is a legitimate company in their own right.

WSWD, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  6. shahjahan-the-warrior

Best Answers:
    I don't have to. That was just my opinion, and I was not pointing to any company perse but I was just suggesting Nima to do a research before going with any service provider .

Nima likes this.
  7. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    from the looks of things, pair seems to have been around for a very long time - longer then alot of others.

As for resellers, depending on your point of view, wasnt hostgator simply a reseller? (using softlayer's hardware?) There would be alot of companies that simply rent the hardware, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The main thing that I discourage, is hosting with someone that is:
    1. not a legal company
    2. under 18.

matt_62, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  8. shahjahan-the-warrior

Best Answers:
    Sure - Thanks Matt.

9. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And THAT'S the key exactly! Most people looking for hosting don't understand that probably 90% of the hosts out there aren't real businesses, or are run by kids, or hobbyists, or what have you. This doesn't happen in any other industry really. You aren't going to go to a restaurant, for example, that is not a real business, run by kids, etc., because there are rules and regulations in place to prevent it.

Hosting is also very cheap to get into (even free), unlike most other business ventures. No investment means it's easy for kids and folks who have no intention of running a legitimate business to get into the industry.

Web hosting is unique in that there are no regulations, no permits required, etc.

WSWD, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  10. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am actually in the process of having some comics made up that illustrates that point exactly!

I was pretty gutted, I took over someone elses hosting company, and recently lost a client to a hostgator reseller as he wanted to save money, the entire concept of reliability etc, didnt matter as much as saving a few dollars.
    Worked out his refund (based on under 3 weeks of his 12 month hosting period remaining) was $0.47USD. -> lets hope he doesnt spend that all at once!

matt_62, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  11. Collard

Collard Banned

Best Answers:
    Check for offers from Planethoster.net. They are offering trustworthy plans with nice features and reasonable pricing.

Collard, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  12. bellcom

bellcom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was with Hostgator for about 10 years with very few issues but over the last year they went to crap so had to move. They can't can't even get my cancellation done correctly and have had to cancel 3 times and still get billing notices.
    I have a lot of hosting clients that have been with me a long time so tested several hosts like hostdime, crocweb and few others that were highly reviewed at webhostingtalk.

Ended up with a reseller account at Bigscoots.com and they have been great. I have a had a few tickets answered and my request taken care of in less than 60 seconds. Support tickets & and chat support are both great, you request something or ask a question once and it is done correctly the first time. At hostgator I would have to go back and forth on chat support for a half hour trying to explain a simple issue and they still couldn't get it right. I have some customers that haven't updated their sites in a long time but support quickly let me know any required changes.

I even had an old site I created like 8 years ago that was having a problem that was really nothing wrong with hosting, just outdated code and they had a developer correct my code and get the site running. Most hosts just will tell you to contact the script developer when you have a conflict.

I tested many hosts and these guys had the quickest responses but also the most knowledgeable. Doesn't matter how fast support is if they don't have much experience.

bellcom, Sep 12, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  13. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    If HostGator is not fulfilling your needs and you are moving to another host then look into which hosts are now owned by EIG. The list is getting pretty extensive. There are a few good providers that have been in the industry for a number of years that are affordable and reliable. Web hosting is a competitive market but if you aren't a fan of EIG host then you might want to look into providers not owned by EIG that are still solid hosting providers.

JPC-Sabrina, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  14. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, I looked into a lot of hosting and later found out they were owned by EIG. The most surprising one was BlueHost

Nima, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  15. James Stephens

James Stephens Peon

Best Answers:
    I like bluehost. Their cPanel is a lot easier to use than HostGator.

James Stephens, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  16. samie

samie Member

Best Answers:
    Ipage and Hostgator are also the same company too :p

samie, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  17. samie

samie Member

Best Answers:
    Bluehost, Ipage, Hostgator = EIG
    Hostgator looks a little different though because they kept their old system when it was migrated. Most of the hosting companies share the same custom-made control panel.

samie, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  18. samie

samie Member

Best Answers:
    Although I don't think asmallorange.com is EIG. I worked at EIG for about 5 years and have never heard of it. Unless it's a new acquisition. But the whois information sure doesn't match EIG.

Edit: Nevermind :p Just checked their website and asmallorange is infact listed as a brand. It's just strange the the whois information shows an individual rather than their company information.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    samie, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  19. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are there any insights into how the company is run that you can share with us? Why did some of these hosting companies get so bad after the acquisition?

Nima, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  20. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Asmallorange was owned by Hostgator. EIG aquired both more or less with the Hostgator sale.

WSWD, Sep 13, 2013 IP