1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking to Co-Create a Website Designed by the Coding Community.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by . E ., May 25, 2016.

I have Hosting & the Domain Name, I'm looking to Co-Design/Code an Interactive Community Website Designed & Coded by the Coding Community.

I have some basic coding experience with html/css/javascript, built sites, ran a small social networking site on ning. Have graphic design experience via Logo's, Images and have done my own video editing work for site promotion.

. E ., May 25, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You've started your thread in the right place to discuss the issues and challenges around such a project.
    I'm assuming you've got the goals for the site sorted out so you know what you want it to do.
    Will you managing the source code through git?
    Will the site be based on an existing CMS or are you planning to start from scratch?
    Will any of the code be released for people to use on other sites?

sarahk, May 25, 2016 IP
  3. meet_dilip

meet_dilip Member

Best Answers:
    Get Xenforo and start a forum. There are free alternatives as well.

meet_dilip, May 26, 2016 IP
  4. . E .

. E . Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this the git your speaking of? https://git-scm.com

that's new terminology to Me, what is it?

I'd like to do it from Scratch, Absolutely., I've looked into some Content Management Systems in the past. But all of that can be coded so may as well have our own.

Thanks for the input.

I know there are sites such as AppleInsider that have their Main Informative Website along with a separate Forum for Member Interaction/Involvement, that could also be used for site direction & development.

The Site is http://evolv.world

I have a basic landing page at the Moment, but will need to redesign it as "responsive" with possibly a standalone mobile version if required.

I'm currenlty brushing up on some coding 101 as I've been out of the loop for awhile.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    . E ., May 26, 2016 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You found the right site. Git is great for managing code where there are teams of developers because source control management becomes so much more important.

sarahk, May 26, 2016 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What is the ultimate purpose of the site? What's the point? If I understand you correctly, you want to do a coop created website? If that's what you're planning, forget it. It's never gonna work. When have you EVER seen coders agree on anything?

PoPSiCLe, May 26, 2016 IP
  7. . E .

. E . Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't Agree. ;)

Thank You, I will look into that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
    . E ., May 26, 2016 IP
  8. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That is your prerogative, but unless you have a very well defined way of dealing with disagreement, and someone on the top dismissing idiotic ideas (for instance if you plan on doing things via vote), then it will fail, or end up as a Frankenstein-monster.

The problem isn't the idea itself, it isn't that bad, the problem is the difference of opinion between coders. Nobody is completely agreeing about anything, and there are thousands of wrong ways of doing stuff, and very few ways of doing it right. When there isn't even consencus about "doing it right", you'll end up with something unmaintainable, and probably not very good.

I want you to prove me wrong, by all means, but I think you're either underestimating people's need to fuck things up, or overestimating the benevolence of coders as a whole.

PoPSiCLe, May 27, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Yep, I look forward to the day we sit back and go "we shoulda taken him seriously"
    I'm still stuck on what the site is actually going to do. To get coders on board there needs to be a clear vision.

One of the best jobs I ever had, and I stayed for 10 years, was for a company owned by 2 brothers. One could sell ice to the eskimos and the other could see ways to use tech that the people who created the tech had never considered. We managed to take his vision and do some extraordinary work. He eventually retired and the company just wasn't the same. If he called me today and said he was starting something new I'd be there like a shot.

@. E . needs to either be that guy, or find one to lead the project.

sarahk, May 27, 2016 IP
  10. . E .

. E . Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Would like A member Login page.

2. This would then create their own page that would be customizable, that they could add content to.

Would like the option of users/members to be able to post items they would either like to donate or sell also on the site.

Would like to do this without purchasing a license for existing cms software.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    . E ., Jun 9, 2016 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Nobody buys licences for cms, the good ones are free

sarahk, Jun 9, 2016 IP