1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking to build a list of Directories that only have unique content

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ! Ask !, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:

Auction end: 24 hours after last bid

Your Bid 18-feb-2007 2:11pm
    Next Bid 19-feb-2007 4:07pm

Looks like you are right, I didn’t look at the time difference but since you are not interested doesn’t matter anymore :)

By the pictures in your profile you really look nice, almost like a movie star. (I am jealous I must admit)

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The home page of my real estate directory is considered unique but a selection of the listings pages are considered duplicates. I edit most titles and descriptions as the submitted versions are usually seo-friendly and not human-friendly.

Even my vBulletin directory comes up with copies on some categories, yet the copied sites bear no signs of wrong doing.

If Google et al are this strict then the demise of directories is certain

But the good news is that the MFA sites will go too :)

sarahk, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, C'mon Tickle Me Elmo for Christmas. :p Ain't falling on UNIQUE LIAR Tactics .:rolleyes:

Not only a movie star Winner of Unanimous Decision as well on the Longest.....Baseball Bat:D

popotalk, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  4. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you're ! ASK ! ing for it, I can provide. But everyone knows I'm a nice guy, and don't such things. Am I right? Am I right?? Am I right???

an0n, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  5. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I'm not going to concern myself over a few free listings that we accepted when we first launched our directory that are not unique via Copyscape. If some of our details pages are relegated to the Supplemental index because of this, I'd say it's more of a problem for the site owner than it is for us.

If the submitter didn't care to take advantage of our free offer in a manner that would have provided them with the most benefit, then I'm not going to complain if they don't receive the full benefit of having a listing within our directory.

I'm not concerned with a few pages in the Supplemental index and I'm sure that as any directory experiences growth they'll also experience a few pages shuffled off to the supplemental side as well. I would be concerned if only our home page was indexed and the remainder of the site was supplemental. I'm sure you'll find that even the top directory owners can live with a few pages in the supplemental index. ;)

Having 100% unique content is no guarantee that this will not happen as is evidenced by your own directory; which has both sub-category pages and individual listing detail pages within the Supplemental index and not just dynamic pages, which are to be expected unless they're disallowed.

eWebPages Directory provides a fairly unique (I'll be the first to not say 100%) index of professionally edited and annotated listings and we believe as our directory grows, so will the benefits to those that are listed and our visitors as well.

While we may not qualify to enter your "list" I'm not going to concern myself too much over that one. I'll let our visitors, submitters and the search engines judge our directory and its content ;)

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I understand your thread?

CReed, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    sarahk, britishguy and WhatiFind like this.
  6. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    Totally agree with Creed here, sorry !ASK! but with just unique content a web directory is not gonna make it.

My web directory http://www.dirspace.com/ is not unique in descriptions, some are, and some are not, but thats not what it's all about. I'm building at my directory for almost 2 years now, constant building in all sorts of ways. In the end this pays off for me, hardly any supplemental results and quickly cache rate by google on all category pages (over 1000 categories).

Staying out of the supplemental results takes a lot of time and effort not just unique descriptions.

Let's talk about what is a web directory?

A web directory is an internet guide for surfers to quickly find quality web pages pre-selected by human eyes.

Does the visitor of my directory really cares about supplemental results? It's just about serving the best possible results to the visitors of my directory.

Well let's take a look at google.. What is google about?

Just serving the best possible results.

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I understand your thread?;)

WhatiFind, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    CReed, britishguy and banless like this.
  7. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not too into unique content on every page of my site, but I do believe original content is a strong ranking factor. It is a solid SEO in a long run.

Having said that though the current content penalty tendency is NOT that strict. Dup. content won't get your site banned or anything even though it is one of the high risk penalties. You might lose a SERP position or PR if you are not lucky. Considering Google is more looking at content than every before, his general approach to get unique content is not going to be wasted. That's for sure.

coolsitez, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is what I was wondering at first glance. Ulterior motives had been set before post.

If it "WAS" to get an eye blink for a glance. Then the motive is far from objective.

The ODP shouldn't be listing sites that are having a hard time competing. It list sites sites that either don't NEED to compete, or that have already demonstrated their ability to compete. Obviously, they haven't achieved that ideal yet. But it is a worthy goal.

Sorry !Ask! its just PRETTY arrogant on your side to do such thing. Considering the thousands of directory owners DP members or not, let everyone shine on their moment and not hand pick great sites and include yours alone which remind me somewhere on another thread a constant promoter of another strong to be directory. :rolleyes:

I don't really give a blind bull if my directory passes or not as I know myself whats unique and whats not.

Been there, Done that.

9. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    I am thinking of building a list in my site the same way as Jeff did for Strongest Directories and I am looking to get sites, it’s not my fault directories don’t fulfill the requirements.

I couldn’t care less about Dmoz, off course I don’t mind getting listed there every backlink is useful, but at least to get listed on a google cached page LOL.

Also looks like at this moment you don’t get listed on Dmoz based on merit but on how much you $$$ you give to corrupt editors.

One thing everyone agrees, striving for unique content will never hurt your site, so I go the extra mile and spend time and money doing it.

Some years ago some “crazy” people started saying you had to diversify anchor text they where ahead of the curve, hope same happens with unique content.

Only Time will tell if i am right....

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So, what percentage of pages do you check before accepting a directory onto your list?

sarahk, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Where's the Originality and Uniqueness you've been talking about in your original post.
    You sure about this ? In the slums of my country they call that SHOWY.
    If you know someone give us a TIP as I am in dire straits to get my other sites listed. ;)

12. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Normally I test the latest sites and the top sites if they exist.
    Then I go to some popular categories.

The site doesn’t have to be 100% unique but some edit police must be present for submitted descriptions.

For example ewebpages.org, is an example new listings pass the copyscape test so it will be added to the list.

I am doing a list of “Original Content” not “Strongest Directories” is my English faulty… what part don’t you understand.

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  13. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh I see!! In WWII they did that to the Jews. You have to segregate the PURE and the UNPURE.

Funny !Ask! thought you were SOLID. Care to join the Vince Mcmahon Kiss My A Club ?

14. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    So now I am a racist, Ok I will list all available directories…ok, with you! (this is so funny)

Sorry I don’t understand nothing about WWW Wrestling, I think this is somehow related.

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  15. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    This debate will surely go down in dp history as one of the longest forum debates ever. How much longer do you guys think you can go. I think I'll go get a six pack and enjoy the rest of this.

banless, Feb 21, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If I Don't know How to Read Between the Lines I could let it GO. Then your lying and deception what pissed me more off.

I am not playing with you !Ask! I am being realistic. I don't play CHILD GAMES as I am in my MID 40's.

17. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    I've been drinking all day, haven't we all? I'll end up waking up tomorrow with this fuzzy vision of a kid picking his nose and wonder why I feel so violated and empty inside.

Another wasted day at dp, Life is good!

ErectADirectory, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  18. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    LOLOLOL I love the "feel so violated and empty inside" part...
    i can not give you more rep sorry, you deserve it.

! Ask !, Feb 21, 2007 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok Boys and Girls.

If I check the other sites listed in DMOZ and it does not passes COPYSCAPE I can go and bull DMOZ Editors why my site which has Original and Unique Content not listed. While SITE in Question has NO Original Content and is LISTED.

END OF STORY---->>>

For amusement sake an0n get your site tested please. :rolleyes:

20. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    wait until the weekend when i do my routine overview and rewriting. My Web Directory is open now though. :)

(still have a few things to fix, but have a few mods to install for others first)

an0n, Feb 21, 2007 IP