1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for shared hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by erezson, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Macarka

Macarka Banned

Best Answers:
    My preferable option is cddhosting.com to get hosting solutions. So far they have been excellent. I've had to contact support a few times and on all occasions my questions was answered very promptly.

Macarka, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  2. werliyu

werliyu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should avoid EIG related web hosting companies such as Hostgator, ipage, fatcow and many more. And there is no unlimited disk and bandwidth. I am using Hawkhost for almost 6 months now and i am very satisfied with their service. They are using litespeed web server which up to 9 times faster than apache web server.
    You could find many reviews and good web hosting providers at webhostingtalk.

werliyu, Sep 18, 2013 IP
    Fakher likes this.
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Getting a VPS is great, it really is, but going to a VPS is a rather large step, one that you should be able to avoid for the time being.

To elaborate, most server companies will provide management only if you have a control panel (like cpanel installed), and if you are used to cpanel, you would probly opt for that anyway. Cpanel license for a vps is around $25 alone, with management on top of that, lets take a guess at $20 just for the management alone.
    Then you need to realise that cpanel has a minimum requirement of 512 ram, in practice you would really need 700+ ram, but if your sites have outgrown shared hosting, then you might be looking at 1gb, or even 2gb ram -> this estimate allows you to have some idea of the cost of the actual VPS. To estimate, you might be looking at $10 - $25 per month (for a quality vps).

so all up, you might be looking at $70 for a fully managed vps (with cpanel installed), but unlike shared, even if the vps is fully managed, you would be expected to be able to do (or learn to do) alot of things on your own, and as such will require slightly more technical skills.

The sad thing about the hosting industry is that if you look at that $70 per month estimate for a quality vps (with fixed HDD and fixed bandwidth) suddenly, it makes paying $20 per month for shared hosting look affordable, and in the world of "unlimited" for $2 or less, it is extremely difficult for quality hosts to convey this. Majority of people that sign up for unlimited for $1 - $2, really seem to have a mentality where its a complete datacenter for them alone, with a personalised team of dedicated support staff at their beck and call.

My advice is to stick with shared hosting for the time being, there are some top hosting companies that are under $20 per month, and should be able to handle your sites without any issues. The main thing is to avoid any company that offers unlimited, as you know that you can expect servers to be heavily oversold, and overall, there is very poor performance. I had to leave hostgator 2 years ago, due to server performance.

Additionally, you will want to look for a host that uses cloud linux. CL puts limits on all users accounts, and reduces the impact that other sites can have on the running of your site. A host might have different plans, that comes with different ram and cpu limits, so in a way (provided the host doesnt heavily oversell), it is akin to a poor mans VPS.

I would offer you a free trial of my hosting, however, I do not have live chat as an option, sorry.

matt_62, Sep 25, 2013 IP