1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking For Reviews of my Portfolio Website

Discussion in 'Websites' started by cuff38mac, Oct 29, 2015.

I have been doing web sites for over 2 years now. I have a portfolio website set up at http://www.mcuffee.com and would like some feedback on the website and also my web design samples. I eventually want to use this site to obtain a career in web design or gain some clients on the side. Thank you in advance for your feedback and advice.

cuff38mac, Oct 29, 2015 IP
  2. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are going to ask for a review, you might want to respond to a few review requests yourself, to kind of get the relationships going.

The first question that comes to mind when viewing your site is, why does my cursor disappear when I mouse over the text on the home page?

To be completely honest (not to give offense), I don't know what to make of the website. If you are offering professional design services, I think you need to up your game. If you are still learning, then make it more of an "I'm learning and this is where I post my thoughts" type format.

JohnScott, Oct 30, 2015 IP
  3. cuff38mac

cuff38mac Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your feedback. Are you mentioning the text of my name in header? My focus of my site is more of a "i know how to do this and this. I can use what i know to aid your business" maybe the second sentence on main page about job opportunity. What would you say could be improved in regards to the samples Ive posted since those would be what employers would judge me by?

cuff38mac, Oct 30, 2015 IP
    JohnScott likes this.
  4. Marvin Show

Marvin Show Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Your site is nice and simple. The four sites you show in "portfolio samples" look just fine. The tag line up front is good for selling yourself. I scored my first technician job with four samples too.

Marvin Show, Oct 30, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The designs you're offering in your portfolio looks dated. Like, 10 years old. I'm not saying they don't work, or is badly coded (I didn't really look at the code), but it's not gonna attract new clients. You need to follow some trends, or you'll be left behind - that's just the way the business of web design works.
    Also, having scroll-bars on page-elements... just, no. Don't do that. A page should NEVER have more than one scroll-bar, and that's the viewport-scrollbar (okay, exceptions can be made for select-lists, but that's about it).
    Sorry, but that does not make me wanna hire you to do any webdesign - I can get better looking sites from a Wordpress-install with a standard theme.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 30, 2015 IP
  6. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I could blow smoke up your tuhanny and say your portfolio looks great, but it my eye, it doesn't. Compare the law firm site in your portfolio to this, which isn't even a perfect site. Which one conveys the more professional, credible image?

Granted, I think 95% of websites do not meet my standards, and it is a fortunate thing that I only hire designers and am not one myself. Like most average people, I browse a lot of websites and we as humans always make judgements based on what we've seen in the past. There is perfection, which impresses the snot out of me, and there is everything else. Aim for perfection. If you are going to design a law firm site, collect screen caps of 100 law firm sites and take notes on what elements engage and impress you, and what elements distract from the experience. Then create a masterpiece.

JohnScott, Oct 30, 2015 IP