1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for reliable hosting companies

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Jeffr2014, Jan 6, 2016.

I want to move a couple of WordPress blogs from existing hosting companies - the reason is excessive downtime and poor support.
    Would appreciate you recommendations. Ideally, I would like the companies that DO NOT offer an option of having multiple websites per hosting plan (i.e. trying to stay away from "SEO hosting"). I also don't want small re-sellers, had my share of bad experience with these :-(
    My budget is under $5/month per site. The data centers should be in North America.

Jeffr2014, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  2. Abelo

Abelo Active Member

Best Answers:
    What hosting provider were you using? I'd suggest us but we're located in the Netherlands.

Abelo, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  3. Puntocom81

Puntocom81 Banned

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend https://www.vultr.com or https://www.tilaa.com . I have used both and they are really good. Currently I'm using Vultr.

Puntocom81, Jan 6, 2016 IP
  4. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am still with them, so I will keep the names private for the moment. Will publish reviews (here and at WHT) when I transferred the sites.

Thanks you for recommendation, Vultr looks interesting, I like their concept and prices. Tilaa is European cloud, so it wouldn't work for me.

Jeffr2014, Jan 7, 2016 IP
  5. Puntocom81

Puntocom81 Banned

Best Answers:
    I read good things about https://www.ixsystems.com/

Hope that helps.

Puntocom81, Jan 7, 2016 IP
  6. imuncutno1

imuncutno1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I can recommend you an OpenVZ/Cloud VPS hosting with USD4.50 per month.
    I can help install a free open panel into your VPS hosting + install WordPress into your domain.

All I need is a small requirement from you.
    More info: Servers located across the United States. - Buffalo, NY - Chicago, IL - Piscataway, NJ - Atlanta, GA - Dallas, TX - Los Angeles, CA

imuncutno1, Jan 7, 2016 IP
  7. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but they don't offer shared hosting services.

8. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the offer, but I am looking for shared hosting for these blogs. I run Cloud VPS (with OVH) for my commercial site and it requires a lot of attention re security, configurations, updates, etc. I just don't have time to deal with another VPS...

9. imuncutno1

imuncutno1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oic.
    I fully understand your point.
    I had been using shared hosting for years but very frustrated because of their limited CPU resources. Some more I used few high-end WP plugins, they just couldn't take it.

For more than 3 years, I am happy to use VPS as the loading speed is fine to me.
    Anywhere, good lucks to your finding and I hope you find DP forum members are great people.

Best regards,
    Cheers!

imuncutno1, Jan 7, 2016 IP
    Jeffr2014 likes this.
  10. Vlad587

Vlad587 Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems to me that many Big hosting companies now raise prices and I personally use hostingcross.com, I would not be that strict for those who resell hosting as I have worked with some who provided good support, at the end of the day with the small hosting companies you will be considered more as a personality:)

I hope it helps,

Vlad587, Jan 7, 2016 IP
  11. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but considering that almost half of your recent messages on DigitalPoint are about recommending 4Goodhosting, I am not sure how objective you are :)

Jeffr2014, Jan 12, 2016 IP
  12. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    sachin410, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  13. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Jeffr2014, Jan 13, 2016 IP
  14. Benpick

Benpick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    One of the ways on how to check the reputation of a good hosting provider is to check their customer reviews. You can look at some review sites e.g. trustpilot.com etc.
    It's also important to note if there is a 24/7 tech support available in case you need assistance with your hosting account.

Benpick, Jan 15, 2016 IP
  15. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you +Benpick, I always check reviews :) With so many bogus review sites the only one I trust is webhostingtalk.com

Jeffr2014, Jan 15, 2016 IP
  16. ilyasdeckers

ilyasdeckers Member

Best Answers:
    How many sites are we talking about? I think I can help you out with your problem.
    You say that you have a budget of $5/month per site. I can guide you on setting up and migrating your wordpress installs to a vps or specially designed hosting for WordPress.

Let's say you have 4 sites.
    4*$5= $20 /mo

With this budget, you can rent a vps with more than enough resources to take 4 medium sized websites with ease. Or you can go for a super solid web host like PhaseHosting and set up a WordPress multisite with domain mapping to attach your domains to your multisite. It isn't that complicated to achieve.

ilyasdeckers, Jan 19, 2016 IP
  17. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you but, as I mention in this thread already, I use VPS for my commercial site only, and for blogs I just don't have time (or budget for hiring people) to deal with VPS management and prefer simple shared hosting.

Jeffr2014, Jan 19, 2016 IP
  18. ilyasdeckers

ilyasdeckers Member

Best Answers:
    vps management isn't that hard, the learning curve is as hard as WordPress.
    I run 17 different WordPress and 4 HTML websites for customers on a VPS with CentOS7 and cPanel. This way you will have the same interface as most hosting companies. It costs me about €40/mo I can transfer about 10TB/mo , 150GB SSD, 1GB symmetrical up and downlink. Everything runs smooth and never had a complaint about downtime, slow loading times,... Especially if you use a CDN like CloudFlare to distribute your website among multiple servers around the world. (This is free)
    There are many solutions that are cost effective and a lot better than the major hosting companies shared hosting plans.

ilyasdeckers, Jan 19, 2016 IP
  19. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand all this, as mentioned I have VPS and manage it myself :) Yet, I don't want any other sites on this VPS and [most importantly] I want ALL my blogs hosted at different hosting companies. That's why I am interested in shared hosting.

Jeffr2014, Jan 19, 2016 IP
  20. garry420

garry420 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    garry420, Jan 19, 2016 IP
    Jeffr2014 likes this.