1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for Registrar, DNS Recommendations

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by tflight, Jul 25, 2005.

I have nearly 100 domain names right now all registered through easyDNS. I have been thrilled with the service provided by easyDNS; their support is outstanding and fast, their services are incredibly fast, and they have tons of features that are easy to manage.

However all of those great things come at a cost. As I acquire more and more domains spending $35 annually for each domain is taking a toll on my wallet. More and more of my customers see ads for $3.99 domains and passing along the $35 charge is becoming more difficult.

So I'm shopping for a new registrar. I need to have control over DNS; A records, MX records, Cnames, etc. I'd also like to be able to change the refresh, retry, expire times but I could live without it. What would be ideal is if I could find some sort of reseller account where I can give certain other people access to change registry data for their own domains, but that would be a pipe dream. Suggestions welcome.

tflight, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  2. jtward

jtward Peon

Best Answers:
    I handle many domains through bulkregister.com. Never had a problem

jtward, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  3. WhiteGyr

WhiteGyr Grunt

Best Answers:
    try godaddy.com I've been using them for three years and except for all the extra products they try to sell you they have been OK to work with AND they are cheap

WhiteGyr, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  4. murugan

murugan Peon

Best Answers:
    I am with directi ( www.directi.com ) for past 3 years and the price, features, support are excellent.

I am having around 3000 domains (my customer domains) with them. I am getting .com, .net, .org at $6.49 (Inclusive of all charges).

murugan, Jul 25, 2005 IP
  5. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I'll take those suggestions into consideration. Does anyone have any experience with 1and1 as a registrar/DNS provider?

tflight, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  6. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    If all you want is to have control over your DNS records - surely it would be easy to get a hosting package that allows multiple domains and control over the DNS file (I've got a virtual server account at Tera-Byte.com that allows this - and I imagine many other places offer the same), then point the nameservers for all the neccessary domains to where your hosting account is.

norfstar, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  7. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply, norfstar. I run my own webservers so I could do all of the DNS control myself and run my own nameservers. But I'd rather have it controlled elsewhere by someone that specializes in DNS. Thanks for the suggestion.

tflight, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  8. alph

alph Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've used namecheap.com for a couple years with no problems. You get full control with the abilty to change DNS, or IP-A records, etc...

They are fine for registrar and DNS, had no problems with them for that (1and1 shared hosting...not so good)

alph, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  9. real

real Peon

Best Answers:
    Being an enom reseller may be a good option if you buy hundreds of names..
    There are many registrars offering less than $10 reg cost. See www.icann.org for a full list.

real, Jul 27, 2005 IP
  10. blacknight

blacknight Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We use enom and are very happy with their service and API.

I would avoid DirectI like the plague. Their service is terrible and their control panel is woeful.

blacknight, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  11. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use 123cheapdomains. Never had a problem with them. Easy management, change of registrar etc. Good customer service too. Jonathon there must cringe every time he gets one of my dumb emails but his replies are always quick and polite nonetheless.

e10, Jul 28, 2005 IP