1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for good MSSQL hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by liquidboy, Jan 22, 2007.

Its been my experience that you get what you pay for when it comes to hosting. What i mean by that statement is that offers of cheap plans are good only for sites that don't generate much traffic or use much bandwidth.

If you have a popular site that makes heavy use of a database then the chanches of you being moved around from server to server or even kicked out of a host is quite high. (from forum posts ive read here and googling)

Im looking for a good host that supports a large MSSQL database that needs to be up 24/7 and allow for heavy use..

Anyone out there heard of a good hoster??

Dedicated servers are my last resort..

ps. ive investigated webhost4life and there offer is tempting but all the reviews say steer clear of them (i.e. they offer 2GB MSSQL database limited only to that space for $10/mth is good but there have been alot of reports of down times and popular sites being kicked out for no reason)

Anyone have any good reliable hosters???

liquidboy, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  2. surreal

surreal Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You could try a VPS instead of a dedicated server. They're much more powerful than shared hosting, while being much cheaper than dedicated servers.

surreal, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  3. MrRadic

MrRadic Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    To be completely honest every host has the "resource limitations" clause somewhere. It really comes down to, how heavy is the usage going to be?

Also, for hosting reviews I would highly recommend webhostingtalk.com.

MrRadic, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  4. docflabby

docflabby Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    The licence of the full version of MSSQL costs at least $200/month to the ISP. which means to make any kinda profit at $10/month you would need at least 20 people using that server.

docflabby, Jan 22, 2007 IP
  5. liquidboy

liquidboy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    i completely aggree with charging the right amount for good service. I wouldn't expect sqlserver hosting less than 100/mth on a shared server with 10+ users per server (as you mentioned the licensing costs justify the price)

Now what im looking for is people that have had good experiences..

I currently have 2 hosters of which i use 50mb databases (so low, as the tranlog fills up in a couple of days)

1. Hostony - good but connection is slow. Outages are common, but still a good service!
    2. Infinology - good but service is terrible (don't respond to request for tranlog backups at all). Many outages and never any feedback from support

I need a couple of servers situated all over the world to handle redundance and failover (if one of my servers goes down i want to click a button and switch to another one which is synced up and working)

From the sounds of it im going to have to create my own set of vps (maybe 2 or 3) 1 in sydney, 1 in canada, 1 in uk and build my solution that way! (i was hoping to have hosters that i could do this through cheaper..

Thanks anyways people!

liquidboy, Jan 22, 2007 IP